Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2019, 07:36:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  YipJumpFORUM
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  FOR CONTRIBUTORS ONLY: Gift ideas
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FOR CONTRIBUTORS ONLY: Gift ideas  (Read 10635 times)
gina164
Mind Contorted

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:55:09 PM »

Hi - This thread is to be used ONLY by those who have contributed money to the housewarming gift for Dan, so please respect that -

This is where each of you who have already given money may add your idea, or ideas, as to what we should purchase for Dan -

Please do not suggest anything that cannot be purchased by myself and easily carried onto a plane, or purchased by another fan (someone who lives in Texas, not far from Dan, who has graciously offered to help me out on this).
Also, remember that we will have about $200 to spend -

OK - so...let's begin to brainstorm...
[I'll post later with my idea/ideas] -

Gina

"'Get busy living, or get busy dying."
- Shawshank Redemption
cheddarcat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 07:24:23 AM »

wickedwill said in a different forum:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we should get him a Playstation2 and the WWII game "Medal of Honor" I brought up that I had one and he really like the idea of fighting the Nazi's!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

which i think is a cool idea, but don't know quite how much those cost, i'd be willing to donate more $$ though
duckykramp
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »

Just brainstorming:

I still like the idea of watercolor markers and acid free bristol board pads or papers, whatever he prefers to use.  Does he need a new drawing table or chair to sit at his table or desk?

I think it would be fun to go to IKEA in Houston and get all kinds of practical but neato household items for him once we know what he is lacking.

I think Daniel drinks tea and those pod tea/coffee machines are neat. I have one and love it, he can just pop the pod in (I use regular tea bags in mine as well)  and push the button to make his morning cup instead of boiling water (or waiting for his mom to come over and make it), or I guess he could use the microwave. I don't like tea from the microwave though.

If he really would enjoy a playstation or xbox or whatever I guess that is what we should get. I hear that in addition to shooting nazis the game guitar hero is pretty fun. Would he actually play it more than a couple of times or would it get buried and forgotten after a couple of months? I don't know Daniel personally so someone who does would have to make that call.

That's all I can think of right now. Time to go decorate the Christmas tree.

-Ducky
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »

I also like the idea of art supplies.  However, I do not think we should be buying him the same old art supplies... afterall he will be supplied with decent papers and markers as long as people are buying his work... and people are buying his work - I only wish I afford more.
That being said, any decent amount of oil or acrylics (with brushes) is way out of this price range.
I don't have a solution here, I'm just thinking outloud...
Maybe we could go for one main fun thing a la PS2, and smaller things like a watercolor set and some watercolour brushes (not very expensive at all.)
It would be real nice if some people who know Dan would post some more suggestions.
dbeefy
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:35:22 AM »

yeah it's hard to know what to suggest. Maybe something to do with the King Kong movie?

gina164
Mind Contorted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »

Hi -

The ideas suggested so far are good ones - I 'hear' that you want suggestions from those close to Daniel, so I will ask his family if there is something in particular that he has been hoping for, that is within our price range.

My own thoughts/feelings oná what might be nice, include anything that:

1) Will not become boring - so, the Play Station idea will not get my vote, unfortunately. ("wicked" - I also just do not like the idea of Dan sitting somehwat 'mindless' in front of a TV with one of those gadgets because my ex-husband had at least 3 systems, and could sit for hours 'playing' with them - I hate to think of Dan doing that...so, obviously, my thoughts about them are tainted by my personal experiences...sorry)

2) Will be something he will very proudly 'show off' to visitors, as 'the housewarming gift from his on-line fan forum.'

3) and...Will be something that will last for the rest of his life - so, the art table would definitely get my vote, as I know that he currently works in his Mom and Dad's dining room - I saw it...he takes up their dining room, basically - I can find out if an art table has been planned as a built-in for his new home - If not, I think that is a GREAT idea - and, having bought one for myself, I know we can get one in our price range wink

OK - those are my thoughts - but, let's keep brainstorming...

In the meantime, I will check with the family, thoughá -

Gina

- Shawshank Redemption
gina164
Mind Contorted

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 12:42:47 PM »

$200 is what we can 'safely' expect to be able to spend:

Ideas that are, so far, going to be on the to-be-voted on thread:

1) Art table (and chair, if we can afford one)á [I am waiting on Dan's brother, Dick, to find out if Dan's new home has one yet]

2) Refurbished Turntable (NOT PRICEY, in other words)

3) Art supplies onlyá - not the same kind he has been using - a new medium for him to tryá [?Good idea to go with the turntable if Dan already has an art table...]

4) Playstation 2, and WWII game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From public and private responses, if appears that the '2 tables' will win...

ALSO, I am now thinking that it may be best to give contributors one vote per $10 given...does that sound fair?

In other words, those who gave $10 get one vote
Those who gave $20 get 2
and...Poonhead gets 3 smiley If he wants all three votes to go to the art table, or to split them up and vote for more than one idea, he can...

Let me know if this sounds fair to you...I will begin the voting thread soon -

Gina

- Shawshank Redemption
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:19:54 PM »

I don't really want any more votes than anyone else, but the turntable/drawing table combo sounds best to me.
Obviously I wish he could have everything on this list (including the ps2.)  But I wouldn't be surprised if his spending money increases after the movie comes out.  So - all in good time, right?
gina164
Mind Contorted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 01:29:00 AM »

Sweet reply, Poon -á Yep - all in good time -

Good news - Dick got back to me in detail - he said that a big sturdy FLAT table is what Dan needs/likes, and that it would make a GREAT gift - no special chair required...so, since a drawing table can be adjusted to be level, it is a good plan after all smileyá - we can just get him one with a BIG surface and that is abut 30" off the ground - as that is what he likes and needs!

SO....Seems that the art table and turntable are probably what we'll end up getting him...I am not sure if a turntable will last for his life-time (as I am not sure how careful he'll be with it), but I think the art table will, so I'm happy about that smiley

Well...we can all vote still - and, assuming the art table wins, I and ducky can pick out just the right table for Dan during my trip.

If a refurbished turntable is not too expensive, we can get him one of those, too...

So....looks as if it'll most probably be '2 tables for Dan' smiley
Perhaps we should add in a TV tray table, and make it a table ensemble trio? wink

He'd probably like that...'the 3 tables' ...I can see that drawing coming to life as I type this... haha...

Gina

- Shawshank Redemption
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 01:35:47 AM »

Well if we dont get him a turntable he will more then likely get mine! Almost brand spanking new needle! Its a Yamaha brand! I bet brand new it was at least 200 bucks! I traded a unopened pack of Kiss trading cards for it! The guy I got it from says he put a brand new belt and needle on it and rarely used it! I cant ever listen to it! Imagine putting on a perfectly unscratched record! Sweet sounds feel the air and your kid jumps and sends the needle skidding across the record!
I have learned if you buy a cheap turntable thats usually what it is! So its best to put out a little dough! In my case a pack of unopened Kiss cards!

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length