Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2019, 02:54:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  YipJumpFORUM
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Danny and the Nightmares - 'Freak Brain'
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Danny and the Nightmares - 'Freak Brain'  (Read 13294 times)
stareyedsquirrel
Harley Man

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »

Just stumbled across this, and since it hasn't been in the news site (unless I slept through it) I thought I'd draw some attention to it, in case I wasn't indeed the last to know:

http://www.sympathyrecords.com/news/

Danny and the Nightmares' new album, 'Freak Brain', due for release on SFTRI in August. Anyone heard an advance or anything? Sounds pretty exciting... well, any record produced by Jesus should be interesting, at least. Wink
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:03:24 PM »

Freaky. I look forward to this. Other Danny and the Nightmares have been, well, honestly, somewhat unlistenable, at least given what one is "used to" hearing coming from Daniel.

But in the context of these last few years, and simply looking over the song titles, I have a good feeling about this release. (Or, to quote Bukowski: "The secret to happiness is low expectations.")

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
JudeOne
Lazy Bum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 03:24:19 AM »

Hiya.  My partner and I run http://www.rhythmonline.co.uk - a (small independent) alternative music webstore.  We've just added Freak Brain to our huge list of independent artist releases (we've perhaps got one of the largest lists of its kind on the web....).  Come and visit our site?  Cheers, Jude x
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:28:01 PM »

Danny and the Nightmares' new album, 'Freak Brain', due for release on SFTRI in August. Anyone heard an advance or anything? Sounds pretty exciting... well, any record produced by Jesus should be interesting, at least. Wink

I got an advance copy of Freak Brain over the weekend and have been enjoying it quite a bit. The first track Haunted House sets the pace with classic Daniel lyrics and melody backed by guitar, bass, drums and farfisa.  Other favorites are Jesus Boy with Dan's voice in excellent form, Happy Valentine's Day which opens with the line "If a star would fall every time I thought of you there'd be no outer space" and Souvenir which is simply one of his best songs in years. Other songs are less obviously melodic but after a close listen or two the melodies do reveal themselves, particularly on See Satan Die and Lucifer Tonight.   The title track Freak Brain had me thinking Butthole Surfers meet The White Stripes while Soldier sounds more like Daniel's solo materiel (piano backed by bass and drum). The final track Hell Chick of Rock n Roll leaves me laughing every time and would be covered by Iggy Pop and the Stooges in a perfect world. "Come on girl, rip off your bra"! 

My favorite anti-Satan record of the new millennium.

evil grin evil grin evil grin evil grin evil grin evil grin

haint
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 03:37:20 AM »

Really looking forward to this one!  grin

Talking of albums, is Lost & Found still scheduled for an August release in the UK?

And what’s this I hear about an album of material recorded with the Rhythm Rats in the ‘80s…
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 09:43:01 PM »

RE: Dan "album" w/Rhythm Rats 1980s: In addition to the four tracks released as a UK CD EP in 1991 (December Blues etc.) there are another five or six cuts extant, most of which are pretty disposable "jams". All the tracks were done "off the cuff", probably during one quick session. I really, REALLY like the alternate Worried Shoes they did together.*

As I've said, the Rats also did some recording during the sessions for R/U & L&F, but only Fave Darling Girl are considered worth mixing & releasing (according to producer Brian Beattie, anyhow).

Sadly, I don't think there's a decent audio recording of the "comeback" set from SXSW 1997, which includes Dan & the Rats doing Rejected, I'm a Believer, Speeding Motorcycle, and Fave DG. Dan's dad videotaped Dan's set (and most of mine!) that night, so there are at least "archival" sound & visuals for the record.

(Among other things, it disproves the assertion in the "Definitive DJ" book claiming that Dan had a fit onstage that night - what actually happens is, somebody yells something inaudible, & he yells back cheerfully, "There is no Satan anymore!" and goes on to the next song.)

- notdan

*Lyrics (paraphrased from memory) include:

Johnny laid his head on the railroad tracks/
Let the train run over his head/
Someone said he wanted to know/
What it felt like to be dead

Susan drove around in her car/
Repeating the same stories, repeating the same jokes/
She holds up her children/
In public, like puppets!

I've got a lot of worrying to do/
Don't wanna wear my worried shoes...

[long monologue follows about Austin Music Awards show and mid-80s Austin music scene]

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
ghost
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 08:55:50 AM »

ken, if i'm not mistaken, there is a good recording of that show. i believe that you can find it on a lot of bootleg trading lists. unless i'm thinking of a different night? maybe i can figure out a way to get you a copy.they did a really swell version of 'i'm a believer'.
sounded like dan was having a nice time. but i could never stand their version of 'speeding motorcycle'...
haint
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »

I’ve got the SXSW show on CDR…the sounds not amazing but certainly pretty listenable…if anyone needs a copy just drop me a line…

http://www.bucklemoon.f9.co.uk/bootlist.txt

Dan closed some of his European shows in 2000 with a very haunting a cappella reading of the above lyric…interesting to know it dates so far back…

Talking of the Rhythm Rats…does anyone know where I can get hold of their Ratrospetive ‘Best Of’ CD…just can’t seem to track down a copy…
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 08:41:55 PM »

Looks like I'll have a few copies of Freak Brain available for mailorder beginning Monday. Prices are $12 per cd plus $2.50 postage within the US, $3 postage to Canada and $4 for overseas orders. I accept Paypal orders at strest@aol.com or you can mail your order to:

Stress Records
PO Box 4855
Austin, Tx 78765

First come first served and all orders will be shipped within 24-48 hours of receiving payment beginning Monday August 22. If it looks like I'm going to run out quickly I'll announce it here. Thanks! 

Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 10:08:04 AM »

Cheers to the US Postal Service - the CDs arrived today.

raphneck
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 03:44:43 PM »

The 4 mp3 of the SXSW show can be downloaded here:
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/private317Aa/live/1997Atomic.htm

ghost
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »

"more GRUNCH(?)music with local BANK(?)"...
see for yourself in the discography section comments.
i didn't know that there was a music called 'grunch', and also never would imagine that daniel would play with a 'bank'...strange
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 12:32:08 AM »

The 4 mp3 of the SXSW show can be downloaded here:
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/private317Aa/live/1997Atomic.htm

Yep, I saw that after I posted. Not sure if that's audio off the family videotape or another audience member recording. Sounds roughly the same as the video's music track to me. Listenable, but it's a shame there's not something better (unless the bootleg another person referred to is off the sound-board or something, but I doubt it.).

- Not Dan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length