Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 07:51:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Oh, That Daniel! aka "Pam WHO?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Oh, That Daniel! aka "Pam WHO?"  (Read 9673 times)
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2004, 06:59:38 AM »

Pulled this off rejectedunknown.com - it was August's contest question:

>"Fan question: 'Who sings with Daniel on 'Ain't No Woman Gonna Make A George Jones Out Of Me'?"    

>"According to Daniel, this song was done impromptu on a four track recorder "at Pam's house" - the male vocal accompaniment was a student at University of Texas drafted into the song spontaneously.   He did a good job, but remains nameless at this point.  The female vocal is "Pam", but Daniel doesn't recall her last name."

Oy! That Dan and his memory! For the record, the Pam in question is Austin musician Pam Peltz, who I dragged along to Waller a couple of years ago for one of the expeditions/impromptu recording sessions Daniel calls me out to. I usually rent a nice porta-studio to take along, but ironically, on this occasion none were available, so we had to use Pam's old one, which she pointed out was the same one used for recording Ain't No Woman Gonna Make A George Jones Outta Me fifteen years previous! Amazingly, it still worked, though the day's songs were all in mono (I think that Pam did that on purpose - I let her handle the engineering since it was her machine.

We did around a half dozen songs, largely improvised, that evening. "Dream" is a DJ original, with him on vocals and piano, and me or Pam on the toilet; "(She's Got) Horns" is one of mine, with PP & DJ providing backing vox; "Good Enough" is strictly improvised, starting out with me making up a verse and the others following up; "Ode To Great Men" is Pam's with her singing and Daniel's piano knocking her on her ass; and "Prove" is another Dan song with a nifty switch-up at the end: "I got to where I couldn't stand myself - so I sat down!"

But the key tune recorded that day, by a wide margin, was a little ditty called "Mormon Nights" with Daniel on my Dad's old Kay guitar, me on another "plinky" guitar, and Pam on wispy backing vocals. The song would appear (on the surface, at least) to be a condemnation of the German Third Reich's heretofore unrevealed persecution of the members of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Dare I post the lyrics? Oh, okay, just for you nice people:

MORMON NIGHTS

Mormon nights,
Mormon nights,

Are they gonna get their coffins across the ocean in time?
If Hitler finds out, he's sure to rake the seed before they are born.

Mormon nights (Mormon nights),
They're coming fast! (Comin' fast)

Across the ocean in their caskets and coffins.

Mormon nights (Mormon nights)
Mormon nights (Mormon nights)

Lots of good people die each night!

Mormon nights,
Mormon nights,

If Adolf Hitler found the secret number in my skull,
What would they have written on "the ball" -
A subscription to SPIN magazine that year?

Mormon nights,
Mormon nights,

When those crazy coffins across the oceans arrive.

Lots of good people die each night.
Lots of good people die each night.

- Not Daniel

(At first, Dan wanted to destroy this recording cuz Pam said it sounded like he said "What would they have written on my balls?" and he did not find this remotely amusing. I talked him out of it, though, and now we both really like this unusual track quite a lot. In fact, Daniel thinks (and I agree) that the song is ideal material for a certain super-secret future project with a certain rock star that I can't tell you about here. I must add, however, that the existing recording is pretty much absolutely perfect, in an utterly unlistenable, Eugene Chadbourne-ish sort of way.)

------------------------

[Oh, by the way, am I missing something as far as September on r/u.com? I see the prize for the current contest, but no actual QUESTION?!?]

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
not daniel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:35:02 AM »

Quote from: notdaniel
[Oh, by the way, am I missing something as far as September on r/u.com? I see the prize for the current contest, but no actual QUESTION?!?]

Okay, I get it - the contest and question are unrelated. So never mind.

- Not Daniel
not daniel
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 08:37:44 AM »

Quote from: not daniel

- Not Daniel

Well, isn't that just swell - it appears that I can quote all I want... as long as I don't LOG IN!!! Harrumph!

- Not Daniel
not dan
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 08:40:20 AM »

- Not Daniel

Well, isn't that just swell - it appears that I can quote all I want... as long as I don't LOG IN!!! Harrumph!

- Not Daniel

A quote of a quote of a quote? Can it be done? (Sorry, now I'm just plain getting out of hand).

- U No Hoo
ohnotdanagin
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 08:42:56 AM »

Quote from: not dan

- Not Daniel

- Not Daniel

A quote of a quote of a quote? Can it be done? (Sorry, now I'm just plain getting out of hand).

- U No Hoo

Giddy... with power! Must... stop... QUOTING...

- NOJI{"/'M    jm,j
cheddarcat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:05:46 AM »

Pulled this off rejectedunknown.com - it was August's contest question:

>"Fan question: 'Who sings with Daniel on 'Ain't No Woman Gonna Make A George Jones Out Of Me'?"    

Oy! That Dan and his memory! For the record, the Pam in question is Austin musician Pam Peltz, who I dragged along to Waller a couple of years ago for one of the expeditions/impromptu recording sessions Daniel calls me out to. I usually rent a nice porta-studio to take along, but ironically, on this occasion none were available, so we had to use Pam's old one, which she pointed out was the same one used for recording Ain't No Woman Gonna Make A George Jones Outta Me fifteen years previous! Amazingly, it still worked, though the day's songs were all in mono (I think that Pam did that on purpose - I let her handle the engineering since it was her machine.

We did around a half dozen songs, largely improvised, that evening. "Dream" is a DJ original, with him on vocals and piano, and me or Pam on the toilet; "(She's Got) Horns" is one of mine, with PP & DJ providing backing vox; "Good Enough" is strictly improvised, starting out with me making up a verse and the others following up; "Ode To Great Men" is Pam's with her singing and Daniel's piano knocking her on her ass; and "Prove" is another Dan song with a nifty switch-up at the end: "I got to where I couldn't stand myself - so I sat down!"

But the key tune recorded that day, by a wide margin, was a little ditty called "Mormon Nights" with Daniel on my Dad's old Kay guitar, me on another "plinky" guitar, and Pam on wispy backing vocals. The song would appear (on the surface, at least) to be a condemnation of the German Third Reich's heretofore unrevealed persecution of the members of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

wow thanks for the info. i love that song (aint no woman...) any chance of hearing the other trax recorded that day
Stallion
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 09:16:33 PM »

any chance of hearing the other trax recorded that day

Smiley  I was thinking the same thing.  Is there any way of us hearing those songs?
notdan
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »

Quote from: Stallion
any chance of hearing the other trax recorded that day

Smiley  I was thinking the same thing.  Is there any way of us hearing those songs?

As your moderators have noted previously, I've sent them some audio from various sessions with Daniel already, so they may be utilized on the website. I'm not sure which songs I sent, cuz my CD-R machine was acting up and I ended up mailing a last-minute cassette compilation instead. Once the stuff I sent gets made available for listening, however, I'll certainly provide more.

- Not Daniel
Stallion
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 12:43:45 PM »

Nice...thanks Notdan.  Cheesy    I can't wait to hear these songs.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 01:19:29 PM »

No, Daniel is not a mormon.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length