Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 08:01:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  First impressions of daniels music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First impressions of daniels music  (Read 4476 times)
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2004, 06:38:59 PM »

i think it would be interesting if some of the members of the forum(especially henry long,disfranchise,stallion,not daniel)wrote a little piece on how they came across daniels music and if they got it at first or if it took awhile to grow on them(first impression) and what was the first tape/cd they heard was. i am not the best at writing things but if someone takes the lead i will follow. henry? stallion?anyone?

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 06:47:44 PM »

i also meant to add did you seek out his music because of something you read or did you stumble across it???

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
Stallion
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 05:41:32 PM »

Well I first heard Dan while listeing to Pearl Jam's radio broadcast they did (I believe in '94).  Of course they played Walking the Cow and I had no idea who was singing this strange song.  I listened to it a couple times and the song really grew on me....it was like nothing I had ever heard before.  I can't really remember how but somehow I heard that a guy named Daniel Johnston sang and wrote Walking the Cow.  For a couple of months I was asking people on the net what other things he had done.  I was told about King Kong and other songs, but most of the people thought it was just funny and there was nothing serious about Dan.

Then one day I went to a record shop and thought "Hey I'll try one of Dan's albums."  You know just to see what it was like.  But by mistake I bought Kathy's cover album.  I was hooked on that album for a while.  In my mind every song on the album was genius.  So then I found Stress Record's site...bought Songs of Pain and Yip Jump I think...it was a while ago so I can't really remember which other tapes I bought with Songs of Pain.  When I recieved the tapes I poped in Songs of Pain and was taken aback at first.  I'd been into lo-fi and such before but never anything this lo-fi and personal.  I listened a couple times to the tape and loved every song...then I got into the subjects Dan was singing about (some reflecting my own life as well) and I've been hooked ever since.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length