Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 10:44:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  whats it about schmidt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whats it about schmidt?  (Read 9053 times)
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2004, 05:56:35 PM »

has anyone noticed that in the movie "about schmidt" with jack nicholson and cathy bates that in the wedding scene about 1 hour and 44 min into the movie right before dermont mulrony (hella-mullet) gives his vows there is a girl standing thier reciting almost word for word the first few lines of the song "love defined" they add one word but other then that it is word for word. you will automatically cue in on it if you know the song at all smiley  smiley it was immediate to me. perhaps someone is a fan. maybe i just got alot of time on my hands shocked check it out and get back to me.

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
forgot to sign in wicked
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 06:26:30 PM »

well maybe i should go to church more cuz sources in the know tell me its also in the bible cheesy learn something new everyday smiley
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 07:26:23 PM »

As usual, Daniel takes something from the world and totally makes it his own. "Love Defined" is indeed inspired from the Bible verse  (King James), I Corinthians XIII, and it goes like this:

"Love is the most excellent way...
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...
And now these three remain; Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is love."

There may be a changed word here or there depending on your edition, your politics, your savior, etc. It is a common gift to newlyweds, generally in the form of a plaque that will most likely never see a wall once it has been opened, and certainly (unfortunately) seldom read. But I've also seen it on cards and read outloud (badly) at weddings.

Daniel's spin is one that gives it back to the world, in my opinion. I mean, he simplifies it down to something anyone from any culture or religion (or not) can look at as an element of the highest Truth. Not an easy task, when there are so many voices out there demanding to be heard which all express their particular version of the "truth." Alas.

The only one in pop culture that comes close, for me, would be the Beatles:

"All You Need Is Love."

Now there's a Truth you can sink your teeth into. (weird metaphor...I know...but Love can be pretty weird, heh?)

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:19:29 PM »

well put henry!! you rock Cool

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 11:30:22 PM »

Many people don't realize how integrated Bible concepts and terms are in our culture and language.   If we aren't a predominantly religious nation any more, we're barely a generation from when we were!

Most people credit Abraham Lincoln with the phrase "A house divided cannot stand" - and that's really a paraphrase of Jesus.

A LOT of our idioms are from the Bible -  the simplest phrase like "a little birdy told me" is actually a Biblical proverb or illustration (Ecclesiastes 10:20) ...  also "apple of my eye" (Proverbs 7:2)

So you live and learn...

Or, in some cases, maybe not.

Daniel is actually relatively knowledgable about the Bible - and of course it was the topic of some of his delusions when struggling with illness - but he still retains it well -  every once in a while he gives a zinger line and it turns out to be a quote from the Bible!  And in this case "Love Defined" is a beautifully delivered Bible quotation.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 11:45:39 PM »

Not to get preachy here, but you know, the verses preceeding the "love defined" verses are actually incredible (paraphrased):

1 Cor 12:31 "But instead aspire after the nobler things.   And I will show you a much more excellent way:"
1 Cor 13:1-3 "If I speak in the languages of men and angels, but don't have love, I am a blaring horn or clanging cymbal
"And if I have the gift of prophecy and understand everything and have all knowledge, and even if I have all faith - enough to move mountains!; but I don't have love, I am still abolutely nothing.
"If I sell all I have to feed the poor, and if I were to submit my body to be burned, but I don't have love, even all that would be of no benefit."

Then the "love defined" verses follow....

Daniel is a believer in the absolute worthiness of aspiring to love in all it's forms, ...

I heard part of an unfinished song he was doing - actually it was very different in that it was pretty must "rapp music":    It starts "Love is the name of the game, boys and girls..."     That's the way he see it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length