Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 07:09:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  YipJumpFORUM
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  About the Union Chapel film
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: About the Union Chapel film  (Read 9327 times)
Rob Wheeler
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »

I've had a few people email me recently asking me about the forthcoming Daniel Johnston Union Chapel film. A lot of people want to know what it looks like and what it sounds like etc. Well I know you guys have been waiting very patiently so I thought I would tell you a bit about what our approach has been and what you can expect from the finished product.

We took a conscious decision to make the sound recording as hi fidelity as possible. The Union Chapel has a brilliant ambiance for live performance and it is particularly suited to acoustic shows. It was very important for us to capture the atmosphere of the event, so we placed extra microphones around the auditorium to capture as much of the room and crowd sound as possible. This meant that when we prepared the surround mixes, we could go someway to recreating the actual sound you might hear in at the time if you were sat in the middle of the show.

For the video side of the production we took a slightly different approach. We thought that if we used the hottest cameras and rigs and equipment you can find, we would end up with something that could get so flash it would impose on the actual atmosphere of the show itself. We pared things down quite a bit. No additional stage lighting or big camera rigs were used. This gives the film a slightly lo-fi quality. In that regard I would compare it with the Ziggy Stardust concert movie, or the Beastie Boy's "Awesome; I... shot that", or maybe even (at a stretch) a visual interpretation of Daniel's early tapes.

We have tried to compose all the material we had into a film that is complimentary of Daniel's show and his career. So when you all finally do get to see it I hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:05:25 AM by Rob Wheeler » Logged
xbabytwinx
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »

Any estimate of a release date,christmas...?
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »

I've had a few people email me recently asking me about the forthcoming Daniel Johnston Union Chapel film. A lot of people want to know what it looks like and what it sounds like etc. Well I know you guys have been waiting very patiently so I thought I would tell you a bit about what our approach has been and what you can expect from the finished product.

Rob - what it looks and sounds like would be pretty far down on my list of questions.  I've previously asked if you had the necessary permission to release this film and your email response was so vague that I still don't know the answer to that question. Others have asked when the release might be available and they've either been completely ignored or given vague responses.  Why not be up front about everything?

Rob Wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:03:20 AM »

Hi Jeff,

It is good to hear from you. Unfortunately I do not recall the email exchange you refer to and I am not able to check my email archive at this moment. It may have been possible that we were talking cross purposes.

We have been liaising closely with Daniel's team for some time and everything is in a very positive state of affairs. I would offer more clarity but I am sure you understand that we have a very firm PR schedule and we shall be making our announcements in due course.
xbabytwinx
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

This isnt happening is it.....? I really hope it does,but if not I'll just release my bootleg so people can hear how wonderful a show it was,if you want to harrang me Rob just email me.

Joseph Edward Cave

www.myspace.com/babytwinforeva
Rob Wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »

Hi Joseph,

It is happening. Sometimes business takes time though. We are only tiny guys working on a very big project, which we funded ourselves and have gone to massive lengths to complete to the best standard we can.

The reason why bootlegs are so easy to release on the fly is because:

A) They ignore every singles rights issue
B) They do not pay the artist anything
C) They don't have any production overheads
D) They make a negligible (if any) investment into the recording methods
E) They belong to no professional or regulatory bodies and pay no dues
F) They pay no tax and have no accounts
G) They have no consideration for legal obligations or compliance
H) They don't actually create anything, they just steal something else that somebody has already done.

Now, as the Managing Director of a Limited company I have to be very careful that I take into consideration every single one of these points. I then have to check it again, and then a third time and then several more times. If I do not, there is every chance that I could get into trouble with the law.

I shall make another point here. We are a very small developing independent label. We don't have the financial clout or the streamlined organisation of the likes of Eagle Rock Entertainment. But then again, Eagle Rock Entertainment has not shot a concert of Daniel Johnston's yet. It is guys like us that take the risks with our own money on artistic merit.

I believe in hard work, and we have worked incredibly hard on this project and that takes time. There are some things that we have not been satisfied with about the film. We have done masses of work to make them maybe five or ten percent better. I don't know whether most of the audience will even notice them, but I personally have agonized over doing everything the best we can. So really I take umbrage at the inference that I have a half hearted commitment to this project. Remember, we have not only funded and produced this product but also come up with the distribution solutions. This very unusual in this business. We will deliver it at absolutely the right time when our plan dictates. Just a little more patience will pay off in this regard.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:22:17 AM by Rob Wheeler » Logged
xbabytwinx
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:49:53 AM »

Rob,
I didnít even mean release in the way you have interpreted ,I simply meant out of the goodness of my heart I would give it to people for nothing, this whole website gives away mp3's for free, which in turn spurns more interest and hopefully more record sales for Dan.
I think youíve missed the boat slightly on this one, and as Iíve said in previous posts before, this whole project may have slipped peoples minds now, I just wish you would would respond to a question with a short and straight answer, rather than going all round the house and eventually arriving at the same place we started, still in the middle of nowhere.

Rob Wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:30:40 AM »

Joseph,

I know you are a dedicated fan and you love Daniel and his work to bits. I know there is no malicious intent behind what you say. But trust me, in this particular situation you are not really being constructive. Like I said, sometimes these things take time. There is no intrigue or politics behind this.  Just a little more patience should pay off for you.
xbabytwinx
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 06:03:12 AM »

ok no more talk of release from me.

www.myspace.com/babytwinforeva
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length