Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 03:40:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  How good are the Daniel Johnston books?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How good are the Daniel Johnston books?  (Read 23014 times)
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »

Okay, here's the deal...

I've seen the movie (Devil and Daniel Johnston). Read what I could read online. Now, I'm interested in the books.

I'll be honest, I'm more of a fan of his music/him than his art. I want to know about him (stories within his life; interviews with people who knew him) So what book should I get? I'm not into a lot of his visuals, but I like photos, etc. I want to know more about his creative process in his songs (every angle of his creative process).

The books are very pricey, which is why I ask. Which one should get? Are they even worth getting?

Also, where can I purchase the 1979 tapes? I can't find them.

There's a man in me I'm gonna destroy and he will be no more. He'll be dead and I'll be free. I'll unlock that door. - Daniel Johnston
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »

Book is totally worth getting:

http://www.rejectedunknown.com/store/shop/books/

(And for only $20.00, it ain't too shabby.)

The tapes as issued by Stress (http://members.aol.com/yipeye/orderfrm.htm) are no longer available. You'll have to try ebay or other such sites to acquire them. Good luck!

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »

The books are very pricey, which is why I ask. Which one should get? Are they even worth getting?

You're probably looking at two editions of the same book with different titles.

As far as whether it's worthwhile, the "book" (singular) is pretty amazing and useful in most departments - more so than the vast majority of such bios.

However, both editions contain one GLARING ERROR, involving myself, so I can only recommend it if you agree to contact me after purchase so I can email you a paragraph to print and glue in over the offending one.

- notdan

(In the future, I know of one person who's writing a book that should turn out to be required reading; the same person has suggested an angle for a Dan book >I< should write, which I'm casually looking for interest in, publisher-wise.)

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

Actually, the other book I was referring to was the one that's out of print (the one with the illustration of Dan in some jungle or something) --- OR, is this book, like you said, the same book just with different cover and title?

I'm confused. :/

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:48:03 AM by fifbeat » Logged

There's a man in me I'm gonna destroy and he will be no more. He'll be dead and I'll be free. I'll unlock that door. - Daniel Johnston
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:54:59 AM »

The book I linked you to is a second printing, but has updated and additional information, plus many more photographs and illustrations. The first printing:

(http://www.amazon.com/How-Are-You-Tarsa-Yazdani/dp/1887128417/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208955133&sr=1-2)

...was a bit heavy on Ron English. Not a bad thing, mind you, just unexpected if you bought it solely for Daniel's stuff. Both are worth having for their own reasons, but I'd go with the 2nd printing if I had to choose.

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »

I don't even know who Ron English is. =)

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just ordered it. =)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:44:03 PM by fifbeat » Logged

ghostjr.
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »

The book should have been titled "DON GOEDE & daniel johnston".
You should just listen to the records...
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »

ghostjr, I appreciate the honesty.

I'm getting mixed signals here.

=) Just kidding. Music is always first to me. I just want to know more, or even settle for reading stuff written by people. That's it.

youtube.com had a bunch of Daniel Johnston stuff and it's all gone! Can someone tell me where I can obtain these things. I just want to watch it, man. I want to see the rest of the #9 video. What year was that?

Somewhere in this forum, some dude said something like "Im not gonna throw away my beatles collection just because John beat his wife...".  I agree. Music first. Madness last. =)

Looking forward to that book. Looking even more forward to discovering beautiful melodies after a few listens of a lot of his songs. This guy is pure, man. I don't think there is another artist like this guy. Music. Movies. Art. Persona. Humor. Smart. All those crazy little/big tidbits about his life...

Mickey Rourke was right in Angel Heart when he said "Devil Worshippers!"

=)

(last line was a joke - just in case my sarcasm sucks)

Also, is notdan really gonna send me a piece of paper to slap on top of the book? Or am I filipino?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:30:03 PM by fifbeat » Logged

notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »

Is notdan really gonna send me a piece of paper to slap on top of the book?

I wasn't gonna send paper, I was gonna email you something to print out yourself!

What the hell -- I'll just run it here, for you and everyone who already has the book:

In 1997, following the plane crash, incessant stays in mental hospitals, and his expulsion from Atlantic Records, Daniel's reputation was at its lowest ebb. The conventional wisdom was that he would never perform live again, and even writing and recording new songs was an iffy proposition. SXSW bigwig Brent Grulke wanted to showcase Daniel at the music festival and conference that year, but he feared a no-show or worse. The solution to his quandary came in the form of Austin-based journalist Ken Lieck, who occasionally performed under the name "Not Daniel Johnston".

Lieck and Grulke reasoned that if people saw a listing for "Not Daniel Johnston" they would probably guess that the real Daniel would be performing -- but if Daniel for some reason didn't perform, nobody in attendance could complain -- because the bill clearly read "NOT Daniel Johnston"! Lieck took some verbal hits for his part in the plot; some insiders berated him for forcing a supposedly infirm Daniel to perform against his will.

Music lovers scanning that year's showcase listings were undoubtedly puzzled, but they behaved as Lieck and Grulke had hoped. They packed the large venue where the "Not Daniel" showcase had been advertised. Following a short introductory set by "Not" they were rewarded for their interpretive skills.

Backed by local bar band the Rhythm Rats, Daniel had held an impromptu practice session at a backyard barbecue earlier that afternoon, running through four songs for the big show. Though much heavier and somewhat older-looking than people remembered him, Dan and the Rats wowed the delighted crowd with the unreleased "Rejected", Monkees classic "I'm a Believer", fan favorite "Speeding Motorcycle", and a new, perky closer called "Favorite Darling Girl".

Some attendees, unaware that his shaking hands were side-effects of his medication, fretted that the self-proclaimed "sorry entertainer" was indeed shaking in terror. Daniel countered their fears by playing the role of showman to the hilt, working the crowd and having an obvious good time. At one point, spurred on by unintelligible hollering about the Devil from an audience member, Daniel shouted in triumph, "There is no Satan anymore!!!"

As the Rats "vamped out" of the final song and the ravenous audience cheered and stomped for more, a beaming Daniel bade farewell. "You're a great audience," he exclaimed, adding with a grin, "You always were!" As the hooting and applause continued unabated, he mused aloud that "It sure seems like a long time to go for four songs," then he played a few bars of air guitar and cheerily concluded his set with a simple "Goodnight!" before darting backstage to chat with friends and fans. Then he was off to Denny's for a late-night snack and finally home via an uneventful auto ride back to Waller, Texas. It was the beginning of a new beginning.

- notdan

For more of the story regarding the book's version of these events (which will hopefully indicate where in the book it should be glued) see:

http://messageboard.hihowareyou.com/index.php/topic,1121.msg5534.html#msg5534
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:01:57 AM by notdaniel » Logged

fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »

I knew you weren't gonna send me paper; just messin' with ya.

I'm gonna read the book, then refer back to this post. Thanks for the info. =)

billybob
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

ghostjr., you're right about that damn book.  really irritating to read, though it might be worth having just because so much of daniel's art is in it.    there is  an interview that goede includes from mondo 2000, that he says is daniel's best interview ever, which really bugs me, because daniel is so off his meds and just raving, mostly nonsensically...  to me, it's sad to hear him when he's at his sickest. 

i guess maybe if you didn't know daniel before he really broke down in the mid-80s, you'd just think that's how he is, but he used to be a lot sharper, quicker and funnier.  i still love him and i still like to hang out with him, but i hate to see how ravaged he is by his illness.  i'm really glad he's still got his creative powers, but if he wasn't ill, he'd be able to do a LOT more, and be more organized.   he has so many unrecorded songs, but he doesn't have the wherewithal to get them on tape like he used to when i first met him.

anyway, it's all there in the music, most of the books are just blather.  the film is great in its way, especially in the way the director assembled all the old footage and such, and i have to say that it's at least 90% accurate, but if you weren't already familiar with daniel's music, you might not really see why he's so great.  really it all comes down to the songs, like ghostjr. says.
ghostjr.
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »

Bill,

Folks that don't know Daniel wouldn't know the difference, but personally, I believe the book to be more or less some sort of platform for the bloodsuckers that call theirselves friends of Daniel to attain some type of credibility. Personal Agendas. Seems these folks can find no identity without such things as this.
Furthermore, I also believe that there are a few heavy "posters" on this board that have similar issues.
It's great if you know or are friends or even make music with the guy, but to have no life outside of that is just pathetic.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:09:17 PM by ghostjr. » Logged
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »

I believe the book to be more or less some sort of platform for the bloodsuckers that call theirselves friends of Daniel to attain some type of credibility. Personal Agendas.

I also believe that there are a few heavy "posters" on this board that have similar issues.
It's great if you know or are friends or even make music with the guy, but to have no life outside of that is just pathetic.

I'll have you know that my lack of a life is on display across innumerable 'net forum boards where I don't know or make music with anybody!

- notdan

PS: Please enlighten me as to the nature of my "personal agenda". I sure as hell don't know what it is!

madnell
dead dog laughing in the cloud

"get yourself together or fall apart."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »

i hate to see how ravaged he is by his illness. 

how about.. ravaged by.. devestatingly heavy meds..?
again i wonder how different dan's condition might be
if a more holistic approach were applied.

"if ..
you become naked .."
billybob
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:44 AM »

that is a fair question, madnell.  something like that could be of great benefit to daniel, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.  other posters have mentioned the same sort of thing.

posting messages on a board like this is kind of a new thing  to me, but since getting turned on to this website i am amazed by how widespread and profound daniel's influence is now.  anything that encourages that is positive and good.  i was lucky enough to discover daniel's music right at the beginning, before he ever played a show--actually, daniel forced his tapes on us!--but other people have to find their way to it in other ways.  that's one of the reasons i was glad when the movie came out, even though i have minor issues with it.   daniel's becoming mainstream!  that is something that no one but he ever expected.

i say post away.  but i think you're right about  goede.  seems like a bit of a tool.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length