Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2018, 09:06:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  A humble request from Wikipedia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A humble request from Wikipedia  (Read 8552 times)
kzollman
Casper

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Hello all -

I am an editor and administrator for the English language Wikipedia.  For those of you who don't know our project, we are an open-content, user-written encyclopedia.  We have an article on Daniel Johnston.  Although currently we have a picture of him in his article, it is not clear that we have legal right to use this picture.  I would like to replace this picture with another, and I am requesting some from the members of this forum.  I noticed you have many on this site, many of which are very good.

There is a catch.  Wikipedia is committed to "copyleft" principles.  Which means all the content of Wikipedia must be able to be reproduced by others, so long as they also live up to our standards of being copyleft.  Wikipedia uses a license known as the GNU Free Documentation License.  In order for us to use an image, it must be licensed under this license or similar Creative Commons license.  Put simply, these licenses release the content to be used (and modified) by others so long as they share their work in the same way and they give the original author credit.

I am writing to see if anyone has any high quality pictures of Mr. Johnston which they might be willing to release under this license.  In order to do so, you must be the copyright owner of the photo (basically, you need to have taken the picture or purchased the rights from the person who did).  If you are such a person and would be willing to license your photo, we would very much appreciate it.   If you have a photo you would like to release or know someone who might, please contact me!

Also, I would like to invite anyone to contribute to the article on Johnston.  Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and we would love your contributions to make the article better.  I have included some links of interest below.

Thanks for your time.

kevin

Our article on Daniel Johnston: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Johnston
A description of the GNU Free Documentation License:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License
Billy Castillo
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »

I've contributed to the article myself. Also, the article concerning the DVD needs to be updated/filled out.

wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »

I own all rights to these two pictures. I took them. If Bill does not have a problem with his pic on Wikipedia then by all means use it!

Or this one! Maybe you could photoshop Daniel a clean shirt!

I LOVE WIKIPEDIA!!!
IT WOULD RULE TO HAVE MY PIC ON THERE!!!

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
kzollman
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »

Great.  Thank you Billy for helping with the article, and thank you Will for the photos.  We can never have enough photos, so others please keep 'em coming!!

I intend to do some work on the articles associated with Johnston in the next few months.  I meant to ask (but forgot) for good references.  Anyone know of any references that would be helpful?  In particular, biographical articles, detailed reviews of his work as a whole, and summaries of public reactions to his work would be most helpful.  Like the pictures, we can never have enough references, so post things you think I might find helpful. 

I'm a newbe to Johnston's music, so nothing is too elementary for me.  Smiley

best,
kevin
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »

I love those pics, wicked! You capture something no one else has. I'm not sure what that "something" is, but it's there, and it's in both photographs. I hope Wikipedia use them.

Kevin-
As for your need of "biographical articles, detailed reviews of his work as a whole, and summaries..." I'd suggest searching the stacks of our humble Yip/Jump Library of Love right here. It might take awhile, but it would be an opportunity to write something fresh (based on fan submissions) rather than what is available through the usual sources. I'd suggest you start with the book:

http://www.rejectedunknown.com/store/shop/details/464

Also, you can use this site's search engine for more direct topics, authors, etc.
If I can be of any help, consider it done. Good luck!

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »

I would love to see them on Wikipedia!

I have more candid ones of Daniel just goofing around! I do think those two are some of the best, It shows him and his Dad and the family place a big part in Dans life.
The other shows our herop at work doing what he does best........creating and smiling like a like he knows something we dont!

Here is another
The artist's work bench!

And words of a poet!

Damn I wish I was as cool as Dan!! afro

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
ubertar
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »

Is a pic of Dan in a filthy sweatshirt really the best way to present him to the world? Yes, he's as unpretentious as they come, but I think the guy deserves a little more dignity than that, even if he doesn't think so. Just my two cents. For many people, this might be the only picture they see.

kzollman
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »

Thanks for the new pics Will!  I have a question about the context of that written page.  Is it a known song by Johnston?  If so, can you tell me the title (and album) so that it can be attributed?

Ubertar, I understand your concern about the picture.  I would like to have one of him singing, playing the guitar, or something that illustrates him as a musician.  That, however, doesn't diminish the value of the other photos.  Although the article only has one picture of him now (soon to be zero), we can certainly have many more than that.  For instance, the one of him drawing (that Will provided) would be a good illustration for the section discussing his artwork. 

That said, I would really like to get some more polished pictures as well.  I've found some very nice ones on the web, but unfortunately, many of them are by professional photographers who are unlikely to release the picture for free.

best,
kevin
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »

Is a pic of Dan in a filthy sweatshirt really the best way to present him to the world? Yes, he's as unpretentious as they come, but I think the guy deserves a little more dignity than that, even if he doesn't think so. Just my two cents. For many people, this might be the only picture they see.

Like Elvis, there should probably be both a "skinny Dan" (something like the classic McDonald's uniform shot) and a"fat Dan" (say, a recent pic in his home studio or live onstage). Otherwise, you're sure to confuse SOMEBODY!

- notdan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:28:32 PM »

Oh I agree Ubertar. I hate the pic used for "Fear Yourself" I wish Dan had been wearing a clean **** because I love those pics!

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length