Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2018, 06:50:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  The New Daniel Johnston Book!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The New Daniel Johnston Book!  (Read 14475 times)
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »

Yipee!
Man it was years ago when finding something on Daniel, on the computer was as rare as hen's teeth! People interested in him had to look high and low just to get some info or music from him. Now we are getting movies, books,more music (except "Lost and Found" unless you do like me and pay out the nose for it on E-bay)
There was a time it sucked to be a Dan Fan because there was not alot to be found on him.....anywhere! If you Googled his name back then you would get a few hits and not much more!

Now we got this book to look foward to! I clicked on the site the other day and had that baby ordered in 2 minutes flat! Cant wait to get it in my grubby mits!

IT'S A GREAT TIME TO BE A DANIEL JOHNSTON FAN, FOLKS!!!

Now order that book from the front page or remain a loser on the sidewalk of life! grin

Viva La Dan! afro
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:52:57 PM by wickedwill » Logged

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 10:50:38 PM »

I didn't want Wickedwill to think I was a loser on the sidewalk of life so I just ordered a copy myself.  Now am I a loser for being persuaded by peer-pressure?  No.  Soon I'll be standing on the sidewalk of life reading a book.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:51:38 PM by Poonhead » Logged
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:55:25 PM »

Soon I'll be standing on the sidewalk of life reading a book.

Just don't step off the curb while engrossed in the book - only losers get hit by trucks.

- notdan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »

I didn't want Wickedwill to think I was a loser on the sidewalk of life so I just ordered a copy myself.á Now am I a loser for being persuaded by peer-pressure?á No.á Soon I'll be standing on the sidewalk of life reading a book.

Poonhead you are a winner in my book! Anyone with Poon in thier name is a-ok!

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
Estrangedfx
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:23:11 AM »

Damn.I even put in a pre-order thinking I'd get it sometime soon after the 1'st,and now I hear they are having problems with distributors and haven't even recieved it themselves yet.

Update: Okay,I spoke too soon.They are now expecting it on the 8'th.
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »

Okay, over at rejectedunknown.com it said they were expecting it on November 10th... any new information on this?  I keep checking my mailbox but I've been disappointed every day.
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »

Okay, over at rejectedunknown.com it said they were expecting it on November 10th... any new information on this?á I keep checking my mailbox but I've been disappointed every day.

Heck Yeah! I got mine today Poon! They said a "revised edition" Man its like a whole new book! Tons of pics and interviews! I only had it in my hands for about 30 minutes, but it looks like it was worth the wait. Thought there would be more color! Only a few pages but its twice as thick as the first one!!! I also didnt get my 5 dollar gift certificate for the delay but I have the book in my mitts and am not gonna be a loser on the sidewalk of life! afro
It just has Jerimiah on the cover near the bottom. Big open white space at the top, maybe one day I can get Dan to sign it real big!

Hopefully yours will come in this weekend if you guys get mail on Saturdays in Canada.

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »

Hey that's terrific, I'm just happy to know it's in the post.  No mail on weekends here but cheers nonetheless.  I will post again when I get it.
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »

Well I spent all weekend with my book and I gotta say its well worth the money! Its better then I thought it would be! Ton and tons of of pics of Dan and alot more info added! Some really great artwork has been added. I thought 24.95 plus shipping was a little steep but I was wrong worth every cent! Now I can retire my old one and keep this one out.
I was a little bummed on the full color section but other then that its a awesome book!

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
trainwreck
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

i looked at the old version at the bookstore so i cannot wait for the new one...
i am a fan of his art and recently started to get the itch for the music too...
Poonhead
Retired Boxer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »

Got mine today.  Only 8 pages of color, but a whole ton of other stuff.
King Weasel
Frankenstein

I wish Daniel Johnston was my best friend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 11:27:45 AM »

At last got my copy in the post today, took a while to get to me in Ireland. i was supposed to do 2 essays due on monday this weekend for college but looks like il be occupied in the world of daniel johnston instead, Life is about prioritizing! This is the first time ive ever been conscious about dog ears over a book before, Its beautiful and well layed out well done!
 Happy reading

p.s, cant stop playing Silly love on the guitar these days, its a great song to play and a genious song full stop.

"I know you're thinking of your nervous love, i know exactly what you are thinking of....
There's a heaven and there is a star for you."
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »

Okay, normally I'm the last person to come on here and stir up crap (intentionally, at least) and for that matter there's a lot more important things to be freaking out about (like this, for instance: http://members.aol.com/yipeye/orderfrm.htm) but I just finally got a look at this book and I am right royally peeved off!

I was in communication with at least one person involved as the new edition was being worked on and I was VERY CLEAR that one thing in the original printing needed to be fixed: the stupid and very WRONG contention that Daniel's SXSW '97 "comeback" show was a frightening affair featuring a disoriented and deranged performer. I "masterminded" that show - and took a lot of **** for it from some people - at a time when the common belief was that Daniel was incapable of ever playing live again, and I didn't appreciate the book's mischaracterization of a fantastic, though brief, show where Daniel vindicated me and himself completely.

If the new edition's description of the gig is different, then it is if anything far WORSE and more misleading than before! The new book claims that the show was a chilling affair that "ended abruptly" with a heavily-medicated Daniel screaming "We're all gonna die!" to the crowd. The authors might as well have said that the show ended with Daniel doing a Duran Duran medley in a duet with Bob Hope on board a spaceship made of taffeta and tuna cans - that would have been about as accurate as what actually saw print.

What follows is an EXACT transcript off of VHS videotape of the last moments of Daniel Johnston & the Rhythm Rats' performance at SXSW '97, concluding a totally fun and professional four-song gig (four songs is all that the band & Daniel had time to prepare together):

Daniel: [as band "vamps out" of the last song] "All right!!! I hope you had a good time!" [audience cheers; Dan acknowledges with a wave] That's all... that's all we've got!" [more cheers; Dan raises both fists in a "winning boxer" victory salute]

Drummer Rusty Trapps: [in loud booming voice] "Daniel Johnston, ladies and gentlemen! Give it up!!!" [loud cheers; Daniel jokingly cowers in mock fear of the "voice from on high", then returns to the microphone]

Daniel: "Thank you! [More cheers from crowd; Daniel points to each band member to indicate that the audience should "give the band some"] You're a great audience... You always were! It's been a long time... sure seems like a long time to go for four songs! Goodbye! [more cheers and some laughter from audience; Daniel plays a bit of energetic "air guitar" as band continues to vamp, then right as they hit their last note he concludes] Goodnight!"

(For direct evidence of the mood of the show, see the clip I posted on Youtube featuring Dan & the Rats' performance of "I'm a Believer" from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNWotMkoSHQ)

- notdan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
zack26
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »

I haven't bought the new edition yet... man I can't believe they wrote that!  Did they confuse it with a different performance or was is purely invented?    Whatever the reason, it's completely irresponsible especially seeing that were in contact with you...

And what's up with the Stress site?  All cassettes out of print?  Maybe Jeff T. will let us know what's going on...

wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 09:34:33 AM »

Whats up with the tapes?? We gotta have those! Its part of the story!

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length