Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:39:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Similiar Artists To DJ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Similiar Artists To DJ  (Read 15819 times)
Judgemental Jones
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

I think it's pretty ridiculous to compare DJ in ANY way to Wesley freaking willis. Willis is just a retarded sideshow freak with tourett's syndrome, shouting nonsense about "whooping batman's ass" and repeating "Rock an' Roll MAC-Donooold's" ad infinitum. I see that they are both outsiders, but DJ is an oursider artist, while willis is just an outsider period, and he should be.
trainwreck
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »

I think Tom Waits would be a good example...he has an uncommon voice which hides some great pop sensibilities
vocally Wayne Coyne from Flaming Lips...
i think suggesting Wesley Willis as a similar artist does wrong for Daniel, I think Daniels music thrives despite his illness even though it is affected whereas Willis's art to me seemed to be all about being funny because of his illness (if WW wasnt schizophrenic  almost no one would care about it, if Daniel Johnston didnt have the mystique of his illness he would still be cinsidered a damn fine songwriter)
Im not sure if linking in Jandek would be so accurate either, Jandek has all the uncomfortableness of the creepiest DJ song but with none of the pop sensibilities (and that is his allure)most people could not listen to a jandek album,,,
Dr. Fingers
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »

I'd say Captain Beefheart shares the same childish nievity and has the same sence of having-fun on alot of tracks, although their music is entirely different. I guess Conor O'berst as well takes alot of cues from DJ and has some great tracks. But they're both pretty well known. Whenever I mention Daniel Johnston, my friend always mentions Roky Erikson in turn. And for some reason I'm reminded of J. G. Thirwell, an Australian musician who releases music somewhere between horror soundtrack and big band in his project Foetus. But his lyrics are rarely personal, although generally pretty strange. Although now tha tI think about it, Thirwell has really not much at all in common with DJ
lowman
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 09:46:39 AM »

The Moldy Peaches

Kimya Dawson

i agree also jeffery leiws
MONDOALMIGHTY
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 05:44:37 AM »

There was I guy called WEIRD PAUL PETROSKI (sp?) that used to play in Pittsburgh years ago (late 80s early 90s)  that is INCREDIBLY similar to DJ, His vocals REALLY sounded like DANIEL, he also produced home made cassets and did alot with a home organ, at the time I thought he was brilliant, now I really wonder if he was recycling DJ's style.......

Has anyone else here heard WEIRD PAUL?

I also think early KING MISSILE is similar to DJ in some ways
MONDOALMIGHTY
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 06:21:47 AM »

There was I guy called WEIRD PAUL PETROSKI (sp?) that used to play in Pittsburgh years ago (late 80s early 90s)  that is INCREDIBLY similar to DJ, His vocals REALLY sounded like DANIEL, he also produced home made cassets and did alot with a home organ, at the time I thought he was brilliant, now I really wonder if he was recycling DJ's style.......

Has anyone else here heard WEIRD PAUL?

I also think early KING MISSILE is similar to DJ in some ways

AMAZING, I felt inspierd to google WEIRD PAUL and found this

http://community-1.webtv.net/sabata/THEMUSICOFWEIRDPAUL/

..... there is even a picture of PAUL & DANIEL together there
weird_paul
Lazy Bum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »

Hi.  How are you? grin
MONDOALMIGHTY
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 10:54:43 PM »

Weird Paul is the man

I sent him an email and got a response within 15 minutes, I must say that I think Daniel and he are kindred spirits and for the record I still think Weird Paul is brilliant....

THE WORLD NEEDS MORE DANIELS & PAULS!

If you get a chance check out some WEIRD PAUL if you haven't heard it, you'll like it

Hi.  How are you? grin
anarkansas
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 12:46:36 AM »

I guess Conor O'berst as well takes alot of cues from DJ...

If you ask me, Oberst completely rips off Daniel in a number of ways. I always suspected this, and it was even moreso confirmed after watching The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

I think that M. Ward is an artist who has a lot of similarities with Daniel, especially vocally and with his underproduced recordings (especially those amazing lo-fi drum tracks he has), and with his powerful gift of profound understatement.
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »

Hi. How are you? grin

Welcome aboard to the Yip/Jump Board, Weird Paul.
Looking forward to exploring your world.

Nice to have the Northeast represent!

MONDOALMIGHTY, may there be extra toys in your stocking this Xmaz for turning us all onto Mr. Petroskey!

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
Syrupoftears
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »

First off having been a friend to Wesley, I take the comments of calling him a freakshow very personally.  He was a great guy.  He suffered from extreme schizophrenia.  He was not stupid and he was not retarded in the least.  He was exceptionally caring, and it is judgemental people like you that make this world suck ass.   He could have spent his time leaching off the government because of his disease, but instead he took his music out on the road and worked on these demons that he fought with.  He did the right thing.  His music is simple and fun, and as far as I am conscerned I know a ton of people who like his music for its realness and his true unpretentous approach... people who would still buy his albums by the dozen regardless of his schizophrenia or not.

It makes me sad that you would speak ill of the dead.

He was full of love, and probably the nicest, truest person I have ever come in contact with....

LONG LIVE WESLEY WILLIS

Just let me smile a while for real
Syrupoftears
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 01:31:03 PM »

I also am glad to say that I have sent your post to Wesley's family for there viewing...

Just let me smile a while for real
danaisgone
Frustrated Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »

First off having been a friend to Wesley, I take the comments of calling him a freakshow very personally.á He was a great guy.á He suffered from extreme schizophrenia.á He was not stupid and he was not retarded in the least.á He was exceptionally caring, and it is judgemental people like you that make this world suck ass.á áHe could have spent his time leaching off the government because of his disease, but instead he took his music out on the road and worked on these demons that he fought with.á He did the right thing.á His music is simple and fun, and as far as I am conscerned I know a ton of people who like his music for its realness and his true unpretentous approach... people who would still buy his albums by the dozen regardless of his schizophrenia or not.

It makes me sad that you would speak ill of the dead.

He was full of love, and probably the nicest, truest person I have ever come in contact with....

LONG LIVE WESLEY WILLIS

although i don't think Wesley Willis is a very good comparison to daniel johnston's music. I don't think his work is any less important.

Firstly his visual art is amazing. His cityscape drawings are wonderful.

and while I may find his somewhat endless songs about Bands to be a little dull after a while. The songs he wrote about his condition where every bit as heartbreaking as anything daniel has done.

Just done in a different way, which is the great thing about "outsider" music. the variety.

Wesley was the man.
saulsbury
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »

Anyone like The Pixies?  Not exactly DJ-like, but a bit off-the-wall.

I started listening to them around 1988, and was fortunate enough to see them in concert at some point ('91?).

I always remember them coming onstage in a haze of yellow smoke, and opening with a sort of slowed down Wave of Mutilation.

Just heard Here Comes Your Man on the radio the other day.  Good stuff.
danaisgone
Frustrated Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »

Love the pixies. Frank Black is fantastic. would love to hear them cover daniel.

and speaking of 80's indie rockers with a slight daniel johnston connection, i was super lucky enough to see Dinosaur Jr on their last tour in a club in Halifax Nova Scotia. best show i've ever seen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length