Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:29:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  "hi, how are you" mural defaced
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "hi, how are you" mural defaced  (Read 8470 times)
Sweet Gwendoline
Casper

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2004, 02:44:28 PM »

I rode my bike right past it this morning and someone had spray painted "HIV" in red over the goateed frog's mouth. What the ****?   angry   I mean, luckily, it's poor work and relatively light, but still, I mean, what the ****? What is that supposed to mean and why would someone do it? People are jerks.

sweets to the sweet
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Sweet Gwendoline
I rode my bike right past it this morning and someone had spray painted "HIV" in red over the goateed frog's mouth. What the ****?   :x   I mean, luckily, it's poor work and relatively light, but still, I mean, what the ****? What is that supposed to mean and why would someone do it? People are jerks.

It's not the first time, won't be the last, and I'm sure it's totally random placement. Considering the simplicity of the drawing (I find it hard to call it a "mural" just because it's big!) I'm surprised that more vandals don't choose that wall for their puerile attempts at self-expression. Luckily, the simplicity also makes it very easy to re-touch, unlike, say, the Jim Franklin & co. super-detailed hippie history of Austin one a few blocks down.

- Not Daniel

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
Sweet Gwendoline
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 06:21:33 PM »

I like the "away with prisons" graffitti a lot more than this.  That had a meaning, and was relavent and true.  This was kind of dumb to say the least.  I hope that this gets touched up soon.

I think that you can call big things murals, though.  I just did.

Gwendolyn

sweets to the sweet
favorhouseatlantic
Frankenstein

dropped his last dime in a wishing well

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 05:29:25 PM »

damn bastards!
If only I had a gun... and lived in Texas.

suburban memories
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 01:28:03 AM »

Quote from: favorhouseatlantic
damn bastards!
If only I had a gun... and lived in Texas.

Looks like a spray-gun was satisfactory... in any case, I drove by the frog wall a couple of hours ago and saw no sign of defacement, so I assume the graffiti has already been painted over, or was applied with a non-permanent medium in the first place.

- Not Daniel

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 12:59:59 AM »

This is a sensitive topic for Baja Fresh.

It was intended that the mural be repaired by Daniel himself - the owner thinking that would be the only way they could touch the wall without drawing fire.

Meanwhile, I think they've taken to maintaining it - and as indicated, the mural has been defaced and repaired endlessly over the years.

I think the plan now is to have a dedication of the mural and add a plaque during SxSW.
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 05:19:06 PM »

Read in today's papers that the new MTV's "Real World" will be shot in Austin. They HAVE to have a picture of the Frog in every opening episode, in my opinion. Seeing as MTV has a sort of anti-history with Daniel, it would be quite appropriate to include him somehow, either in performance, by artistic representation, or an image of that famous Innocent Frog as a backdrop behind the beautiful smiling faces of this next batch of messed-in-the-head Abercrombie and Fitch rich kids. The irony is beautiful.

Any lobbying to MTV available in that part of Texas?

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
Sweet Gwendoline
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 02:10:13 PM »

yeah, the defacement I originally posted about was up for about 9+ days.  I think that there might have been some discussion at that time over who was going to be responsible for maintaining it.  There have been several other much more minor hits that have been erased within a day or two since then.

Now, a subgenius fan was stencil tagging the area with a pipe with the word "slack", but graciously only tagged a white part of the mural, so it will be easy to erase when the time comes.  This was about three days ago, I'm interested to see how long it lasts.

That other one, the red "HIV" over the art work was sheer defacement of the art work itself, the others have been more like easily removed graffitti.

sweets to the sweet
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length