Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:59:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Daniel Johnstons collaborations.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Daniel Johnstons collaborations.......  (Read 9224 times)
Mindwalk
Retired Boxer

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:36:45 PM »

Well, after working with Jad Fair, Sonic Youth, Sparklehorse,etc...Who´s next??

I really would like to see something with The Flaming Lips and Daniel Johnston together...

That would really sound amazing, specially with David Fridman producing the recordings....

They could produce a perfect soundscape for Daniel´s songs....as good as Mark Linkous did......

And a duet with Daniel and Wayne Coyne would sound AMAZING!!!!

This is one of my dreams........ The Flaming Yip! cheesy

And you? Which collaborations would you like to see?

Love to hear that organ music...........
jean astro
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 02:28:49 AM »

i dont think it could get any better than the sparkling collaboration with mark linkous ,really .
but you're right a dave-fridman-produced album , with the flaminglips, that would be awesome . or mercury rev ,right?

but, what i would really love is hearing a duet of daniel with a girl.i dont know if hes done that before . maybe nina persson, kathy mc carty(obviously),lisa germano..

what about 'love wheel' with pj harvey?? o_O

LIKE A MONKEY IN A ZOO WITH BJORK!!!!!!
The Spook
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 05:44:10 AM »

I actually really enjoyed the 'Words of Wisdom and Hope' collaboration between Jad Fair and Teenage Fanclub that happened recently, so maybe something involving Teenage Fanclub would be cool..

also I've been listening to a lot of Galaxie 500 recently.. I think they made some of the most gorgeous music of the 80's and 90's.. it would have been nice if they could have collaborated with Daniel..

or maybe a duet with Paul McCartney.. they could do 'Live and Let Die' together..
Disfranchise
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 03:55:29 PM »

Well I just like to start with saying that daniel is best when playing on that old piano he had in his basement or the toy-organ he played on on the Yip/Jump Music album. Having said that I think the best album he hasn't done all by himself is by far ARTISTIC VICE.
A future collaboration I would like to see is Daniel with some really good jazz musicans. I mean the kind of jazz that Louis Armstrong played on the Hot Five & Hot Seven recordings in the late twenthies.
The would be so cool and I really think the result would be worth hearing.

What you think about that idea?Huh?
stareyedsquirrel
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 04:15:10 PM »

I do often fantasise about Daniel performing full big-band versions of 'Keep Punching Joe' and 'Desperate Man Blues', so definitely Smiley

'Thank you, thank you very much... a-1, a-2!'
Gypus Chelofan
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 10:50:41 AM »

Hi there you all!

My name is Gypus Chelofan and i play in a Norwegian band called Alpine those myriads! We`ve had the great pleasure of having Daniel do a spoken word text for us on a song of ours called "Love is a fascist invention". We`re releasing our album, called "yr Royal Jetlag Gospel", on the 6th of October. If you wish to check it out, you can visit:
www.ositorecords.com  or  www.rejectedunknown.com

Hope everything is going well smiley

-there`s a star for you-
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 10:28:07 AM »

I'd like to hear this:
A tribute to our hero, including Daniel playing on every track, with covers of his songs by the likes of Evan Dando (imagine that great understated foggy voice of his doing something like "Nothing" or "Come See Me Tonight"); Eels doing a rocker like "I Killed The Monster" or "My Life Is Starting Over"; something for the kids like the great White Stripes or the Strokes covering some older material like "The Beatles" or "Big Business Monkey"; maybe a few nods to other Lo-Fi masters like (SMOG), Guided By Voices,  Bonnie Prince Billy, and why not Steve Malkamus of Pavement...
Add Iggy Pop doin "Billions/Rock", U-2 on "Walking The Cow", and none other than Mr. Bob Dylan on acoustic guitar singing "I Am A Baby In My Universe." Wow. I just got chills.
Then, as a special hidden track on this imaginary CD, Page and Plant doing  a 10 minute "King Kong!" along with everybody in the house chiming in on chorus.
If I ever win the lottery, I promise to make this happen.

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length