Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:35:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  The Life in Vain video
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Life in Vain video  (Read 16289 times)
ghost
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 10:00:46 AM »

i heard he got a bill for 30 thousand.
and yes, the big big world video rocks! it has a real vampire girl in it, right?
The Devil
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »

Quote from: ghost
and yes, the big big world video rocks! it has a real vampire girl in it, right?

There was no "bill" and she was not a "real vampire". Don't believe everything you hear and read.
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 12:42:03 PM »

Quote from: The Devil
Quote from: ghost

There was no "bill" and she was not a "real vampire". Don't believe everything you hear and read.

Now, now, Devil-sauce! The phrase was "real vampire girl" like in the Jonathan Richman song, for instance - which basically means the same as "Goth girl". That sounds like a pretty reasonable description of Heather Stogsdill, as I recall.

Say, speaking of things to read, I just stumbled across this in Keith Ayres' "Local Notes" column in an old (December 1986) Glitch News zine:

"MTV's 'Cutting Edge' program will air Daniel Johnston's video 'Hard Times'. The Rhythm Rats perform with Daniel in this video shot on location at one of the band member's home (sic). The scheduled date is Sunday, December 28, and the show begins at 9:30. The video was produced by Randy Kemper."

S'funny -- "Hard Times" is the only song from the Dan/Rats EP that I DON'T remember ever seeing a video for! Daniel showed me a long (60 minutes?) tape packed with GREAT video stuff shot and edited by Kemper, back when Dan was living in that apartment around 41st or thereabouts. That would be worth releasing, at least as part of a larger DVD package or whatever - not that I'm all that fond of Randy personally (mostly because of that one day when he kept trying to get Daniel to throw scalding hot coffee on me...)

- Not Daniel

(Say, what I was gonna email you, I might as well ask here: I have an old tape from the pre-Stress days, called the "Two-In-One" with both Hi, HAY? and Yip/JM jammed onto one Certron LN-90. I've never seen another copy of this particular combo, and I was wondering if anyone else remembers seeing one or has one. Just curious - it's such an odd item that it's always made me wonder. The cover is a Xerox with shrunken copies of the two original tape covers, plus the phrase "Two In One".)

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
ghost
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 07:42:13 AM »

pardon me, sir. i do stand corrected.
the hard times video was cool too, i thought it was filmed at the cactus cafe though. it has daniel walking across tables and doing some hilarious rock n roll posturing, like doing some billy idol type punching in the air and stuff. but it was late and i was drunk so what would i know.
ghost
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 07:55:42 AM »

oh yeah, why hasn't anybody said anything about john cale backing daniel on "marching guitars" next week at the awards? that's gonna be rad.
bbreslin12
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »

Is that Matthew McConahey(i can't spell his name) in the Life in Vain video. It looks just like him and i know he is from Austin, Texas. He seems like the type of guy that would be in a DJ video too...this is the same guy who had the police come to his house because he was buck naked playing bongos at 3 am keeping his neighbors awake. If it's true it would explain a lot about the video. It's not so much a calvin klein ad as it is an actor who may have been a fan and wanted to be in the video...it's not his fault he happens to look like a model. The problem is he wasn't famous at the time...if he was the video might have gotten more publicity.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length