Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:27:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Fan forum on HOW TO UTILIZE Daniel Johnston archive mater
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Should archive material be made available free?
Yes   -9 (52.9%)
No   -0 (0%)
Some free some not   -8 (47.1%)
Don't distribute it   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Fan forum on HOW TO UTILIZE Daniel Johnston archive mater  (Read 15056 times)
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2003, 04:55:26 PM »

There is known to exist about 1800 to 2200 cassette tapes from Daniel over the last 20 years - more than anyone in their right mind would ever sit down and listen to.  For that reason we've been listening to it non-stop for over a month now!
The question still confronts us here at www.RejectedUnknown.com WHAT TO DO WITH IT?   Daniel himself doesn't know what to do with it.

So we are opening the question up looking for INPUT FROM YOU on what might be done with some of this material.  OUR GOALS INCLUDE:

- Making some of it available - at least to the hard-core Daniel Johnston Fans
- Doing that (over time) without stealing attention from his current work
- Finding ways to do this and keep the material from "getting into the wrong hands" (anyone who would try to commercialize it)
- and a continued list of goals and concerns

We are asking for your FEEDBACK - what are YOUR thoughts about such material?   What are YOUR concerns over making this material available?  What ways could this material be used that benefits Daniel the most?   Etc.

Let us hear from you.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 05:00:15 PM »

Hi,
Doug Sulpy here. I wrote “The 910’s Guide To The Beatles’ Outtakes,” the most recent volume of which I dedicated to Daniel.
RE: The Archival Material ... I suggest that the material is made available to fans via rejectedunknown.com the same way that Richard Thompson has made some CDs available strictly through the webpage, or “artist to fan” the way that King Crimson have marketed their “Collector’s Series.” I think the MP3 of the week is a great idea (there’s only been two of them so far, though! [at least I hope only two...] so it’s going to be half a year before we have enough to burn a full CD of the stuff...), but I’d rather see the material collected and sold to the hard-core fans (and who else would hang out here?) in a series. This has the potential both to feed our unending desire to hear more Daniel Johnston material, and also give Dan another source of small-but-steady income, no? Many of us won’t get a chance to hear him on his current tour, so one of those shows would be great. It would also be nice to hear the un-dubbed home tapes that served as a basis for “Fun” (although I guess the rights would be kind of iffy on that), and the full 49 minute version of “Living It For The Moment” (just kidding wink). Anyway, there’s my $0.02 cents.

One more suggestion for the webpage — please have an archive of the MP3s of the Week available somewhere (much as you do for the photo of the week).

Doug
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 05:00:48 PM »

My feed back is : I love the 9 cassettes that were on stress records , so i would love to hear the 2000 others!

maybe you could put together a few "best of cdr" and let the fans distribute them (through weeds).

or put one song per day on mp3 available on the site (they do that - one per month - on the Velvet underground site: "boot of the month")

keep up the good work!

Pascal
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 05:01:28 PM »

ooh ooh! all i can say is i am all for somehow making that archive material available. i don't know how to do it w/o opening it up to abuse from people trying to make $$ off it though. but I would definitely pay for copies of these. personally i would want them to be available as CDs or cassettes or something [rather than mp3s].
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 05:02:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm writing regarding Daniel Johnston's archive material, and your request for feedback on how it should be released. First of all, I'm glad you're giving this tricky situation as much attention and consideration as you seem to be, hopefully it'll be this consideration that allows you to meet your goals.

Considering those, my only suggestion (at the moment) would be, in accordance with Daniel's management, to compile the best of the material on the tapes, or the best entire tapes (if there any as cohesive as the Stress
releases) - this can be done as you listen to them, in any sort of order you can muster (if you can work out any chronological continuity from the vast amount of tapes). These compilations can then be set up in cassette form, as with the Stress releases (as fidelity isn't really an issue, unless you'll be doing significant remastering, and it'll make it more awkward for bootleggers). Limited numbers of these cassettes will be available. A sign-up for those interested in obtaining the tapes can be announced on your website - take a limited number of names and make the first tapes available to them. Every couple of months, allow a few more people onto the list. If that's not careful enough - though I'm not 100% sure about this - I believe binding legal contacts can be utilised, which can be sent to all of those interested to then sign, which will ensure the illegality of reproducing the material for profit (I'm just assuming you'd be setting up a label purely for these releases).

Regardless of how, I hope you do manage to get this material out, and that it only benefits Daniel, because I know there are bound to be a lot of people excited by this, myself included!

Thanks,
Jamie
E-A-L
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 04:54:23 PM »

I think ,like most, i would pay if i had to.

"when they had played, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken."
tuna ketchup
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 09:40:47 PM »

Firstly, I'd like to say that Daniel's music has touched my life and soul as much as the beatles did when I first heard them when I was five years old.  On that note, I submit that all of the archives should be free and open to all who love the warm feeling one gets while listening to Dan's music.  Danny's music is love personified, and to keep a person from love is to block them from the one thing that can always provide hope, change, a second chance or the promise of a better tomorrow.  When Dan was making those tapes he just gave them to comic shop owners and folks he met on the street because he knew that his music was made for the sake of music - not ANYTHING else, which serves to represent his early work as a stellar monument to the ability of one man and his talent, and subsequently shows what can happen when talent is combined with fearless self-promotion.  I wish everyone could feel the way I do when I listen to "Why, Without You," or "The Story Of An Artist," or "You're Not Laura," ... anyone could increase the list ad infinitum... the point is that the feeling I get in my warm little soul while those songs play is a triumphant joy that could save the world, and everyone should be entitled to it.  The group I am in has learned two important lessons from Daniel: A) write about ANYTHING, because EVERYTHING is important; and B) keep recordeing, no matter what.  

Oh yeah, and fearless self-promotion:

www.internationalcolouringcontest.com

Coincidentally, we will be releasing a new album before Christmas which features a cover of one of Daniel's songs.  I am planning on sending a link to the webmaster of Rejected Unknown very soon.

Anyhow, that's how I feel.

Blake Cormier: San Antonio, Texas.

Mindwalk
Retired Boxer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 10:02:49 PM »

Hey tuna, welcome to the forums!

we all will be happy to listen to your music!

I think we´re going to set up a special area on the forum, just for forum members´ music....so everyone can listen to each others works!

welcome friend!

Love to hear that organ music...........
j7on
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 05:11:02 AM »

Wonderful idea this forum, thanks so much to rejectedunknown!

And now..
What? 2mp3's already, i must have missed that first one, does anyone have any idea how to dig it up? or if someone downloaded it, could you please send it to me?
Or give me you e-mail address through a private message and i willl mail you, (maybe i can give some other live track for trade)
thanks.

"I am living, for the moment"
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 09:56:09 AM »

J7on,

Yes, there is a way to access previous MP3's.... this information to be released to "MEMBERS ONLY", is provided here for the joy of it.

The word "MP3" on "MP3 OF THE WEEK" is an unmarked link.  CLick on it.

This may CHANGE in the future, and members will be notified.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 10:15:27 AM »

Blake,

http://www.internationalcolouringcontest.com/menu.html - very cool!

check out http://www.rejectedunknown.com/links.htm
j7on
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 10:28:14 AM »

Thank you guys, now i have em' all smiley

This forum is going to be so great as soon as it gets filled with topics, i am going to have to hang aroud here all the time.

-jason-

"I am living, for the moment"
Disfranchise
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2003, 07:35:52 AM »

Hi everyone!

I just thought that you should begin with several, like three mp3's a week.
That way people would visit this site more often, I know I would.
If you have that many songs by Daniel that no one never heard and want to present them you should defenetly upload them to the site and then later on collect them on a CD where songs that we're not uploaded also will be included. That I think would attract most daniel fan.
timmel78
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 11:16:10 PM »

i can do it.. i have free time and a LOVE for his music..
lemme know. Tim

ps- i like the idea of a different MP3 each day.. that way, it would send people to his site daily.. and also, keep an archieve of them like you
do with the pic of the month.
Paul_Kelly
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 07:51:49 AM »

i would hate to complain about the mp3s we get for free, but is there any chance they could be encoded at something like 192kbps in future?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length