Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:07:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  BETA testing the new rejectedunknown.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BETA testing the new rejectedunknown.com  (Read 7914 times)
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2004, 10:49:51 AM »

For those who are interested, below is a link to the new rejectedunknown.com website. Please note the following:
  • There is a "Report a Problem" link at the top of the website. If you find errors, bugs, or just things you don't like about the site, please report them here.
  • The whole idea here is to fix problems before "officially opening the site", so please report things.
  • If you would like access to the new members only area, please e-mail me at drew@hihowareyou.com and I can send you your password. As soon as the site opens an e-mail will be sent to all members with their password and instructions.
  • The "Old Store" IS FUNCTIONAL. Check it out! Though just remember running through the PayPal checkout process WILL charge you. This is not "under construction" or in "test mode". (I am excited about the new store features, such as checking to see when your order gets shipped! So don't hesitate to add things to your shopping cart and take a look around  Cheesy  This will also help work out any bugs that may be lurking. Just remember that clicking "checkout" and going through the PayPal process WILL charge you.)
  • [/list:u]I suppose those are the highlights, here's the link:

http://www.rejectedunknown.com/index2.php

Please report anything and everything. Even things you just find "annoying", or you don't think look right. The idea is to get everything working smoothly and looking the same on everyone's browsers.

Thanks.
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:24:58 PM »

Also, new "recommended" settings to view the site properly are:
  • Internet Explorer 5+
  • 1024x768+ resolution
  • Cookies enabled (for members and store sections)
  • Scripts allowed (to view lyrics, tabs, etc)
  • [/list:u]
Mindwalk
Retired Boxer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:00:50 PM »

Hi drew,

Great Work!!!! Congrats!
The site looks clean and easy to use!

A suggestion,

I think you can make the "title drawing" title.gif, "clickable", so if you click it, you return to the startpage......it can be useful sometimes.

Love to hear that organ music...........
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:23:18 PM »

that's a good idea! I've changed it so the frog and the "rejectedunknown" logo at the top are now clickable and take you to the home page  Cheesy
Stallion
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »

Looking mighty fine.  cheesy  Cool
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:40:06 AM »

I completely forgot about this, but rather than you sending me an e-mail to know what your password is to access the new members area, you can simply go to:

http://www.rejectedunknown.com/members_only/forgotpass.php

Just enter your e-mail address and your password will be e-mailed to you. If you're not in the database (which not everyone is yet, only those who have had their profile posted on the current website), simply click "Become a Member" on the menu at the top of the screen and fill out the information. Sorry if you've filled out this stuff before already!

I will work on getting those people who have signed up, but haven't been posted on the current website yet, added to the database.

Also, don't forget you can go to "Preferences" once you've logged in and upload a picture of you choosing and change your password (for those who are already in the database).
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 06:04:25 PM »

I have received and added all the "members" we have had sign up in total, so if you've signed up before you should be in the database now. The good news is there's over 1,500 people total who have signed up over the past year or two!  shocked wow!

The bad news is that because there are so many I was not able to update (most) everyone's information or picture. So more than 95% of people have a "blank" profile.  cry

More good news is that all you have to do is sign in and update your profile!  Cheesy
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 12:29:35 AM »

I just want to say that it may not be immediately apparent what the "advantages" of the new web site design are.

For one thing, we chose to keep a "clean" or maybe less "artsy" layout, and stick to "content".   Since the color scheme remains similar, some might not realize there is a "BIG change."

Then, the VOLUME of CONTENT about Daniel is really very very large - I don't know if this is pure obsessiveness or a worthy goal, but we'd like it to eventually be "complete" and accurate.  

The database scheme of the new site greatly improves organization of the content and allows it to grow without becoming "unmanagable".  

Let me give an example: The sorry page of "alphabetical listing of songs by title" is a "manually typed" list of songs sorted alphabetically, and attempted to link to the correct album or source - which in some cases may be several albums - and there may be live or produced versions, etc.

The duplication of all this information under "album" or "tabs" or "lyrics" is tedius to follow, to maintain, and it is fraught with errors.

The database format means that information by song title, album, live performances, singles, if they have tabs or if they have lyrics or who covers them, etc - all are entered ONCE but retrievable appropriate for your needs.  If you are looking for another song to cover, you'd might want to see which have tabs or lyrics, or who else covers them, etc.

This same improved accuracy and cross-referencing will apply to member contributions, art, etc.

Next this is a FAN SITE - and we want to grow the fan base and fan CONTRIBUTIONS.   The new design and programming will allow that to happen with less "effort" on the web master's part.

There are MANY other elements that I won't bore your with, but if you can "visualize", this allows for material to "appear" ON TIME (instead of always looking to see if the MEMBERS ONLY AREA has finally been updated) and outdated material to drop off or rotate around for re-exposure 3 or 4 years from now!

Also, the "archive" material will not continue to grow indefinitely.  There will probably be years and years of new material, but only a "window" of material will remain up at any time - this is both because of storage limits AND because any new person would be literally "overwhelmed" by the shear volume of material.

If the fearyourself.com site is a successful as we hope bringing new fans into the picture, the need to "rotate" and "keep fresh material" up can continue with less energy.

Our goal is to provide a powerful resource for fans to explore and appreciate Daniel's work, and to grow the size of the "family" of people who have been touched by Daniel's contributions.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length