Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:30:43 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Album Chat
| | |-+  Why Me?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why Me?  (Read 11243 times)
The Spook
Casper

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2003, 08:37:08 AM »

lately the one DJ album I’ve been listening to most has been the live CD ‘Why Me?’
I’m not totally sure what it is that is so much more endearing to me about it than his studio albums, maybe how the songs seem even more personal (if that’s possible) or how his voice seems even more frail and hurt, especially on Silly Love – which is one of my favourite songs of his anyway..
But it’s the last song on the album (‘Nothing’) that I love the most.. it’s the most gorgeously perfect 5 minutes ever captured.. it’s the song I constantly skip to, the one I can’t get out of my head, the one I’d be happy to hear on a loop for the rest of my life..
Why Me? is my favourite album right now, and - along with ‘It’s Alive’ by the Ramones – is surely the greatest live album ever..
DWJ
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 10:38:23 AM »

Why Me is a neglected album - Daniel was clearly in form at that concert and it was the "right context" for him to pour his heart out.

Listen to his humility at the end of that song "I promise I'll do better next time" !

The album is hard to find in the U.S. I understand there will eventually be a U.S. release of it. It is an album everyone should have.
Mindwalk
Retired Boxer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 04:02:20 PM »

I agree guys,
It is a great performance and a great recording....the way he handles the audio problem, at the beggining of the show, gives us a good idea on how he´s a great performer.....

The Medley, with Kool aid/Get yourself Together/Funeral Home...the part where he sings about Adolf Hitler just rocks.....and he did that in Germany!
I believe that if any other artist did that, people would be mad....but Daniel made it sounds so funny, that people found it great! He has a "funny sense of humour"!!!!...

It´s my favourite Live album from him.

Love to hear that organ music...........
Disfranchise
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 03:18:33 PM »

I don't want to pick on you but HOW THE HELL CAN YOU ALL AGREE THAT WHY ME? IS HIS BEST ALBUM???.
Personally I think all the early tapes are amazing including some of "the lost recordings". In his later works I think Artistic Vice really stands out with its pure and catchy melodies. There I said it, it's the melodies that really attracts me with daniel. The songs always ALWAYS comes first and then the lyrics and the way its sung. It's really mind blowing that Daniel manage to combine all this in so many songs but on WHY ME? he don't have these great songs. It's an album where he sounds very Daniel, if you know what I mean, but it lacks the great melodies that got me adoring him.

Hope I didn't offend you guys Smiley

Have a nice day everyone!
Mindwalk
Retired Boxer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 04:48:29 PM »

well, i think we´re talking about LIVE ALBUMS.........

Why me? could never be better than Yip Jump Music....no, never......

But as a live album, it really stands!

Love to hear that organ music...........
DWJ
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 05:22:38 PM »

Yeah, I don't know that anyone here was saying this was his "best" album - only commenting that it was great, he was in form, and that a lot of people hvae never heard it.

I don't EVEN want to get into the topic of which is his "best" album as I'm sure that would be an emotional topic for a lot of people.

I'm looking forward to Why Me being available in the U.S.

(Go ahead, though, start another topic os "which is his best!"   Smiley   I probably won't attempt to answer it, though)
Disfranchise
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 04:37:34 PM »

ok I must have missunderstood then but are there any more live albums exept Live at SXSW and Why Me?
When I compare the Roskilde show I went to this summer and the Why Me? album I really think that the Roskilde show was much better.
What are YOU comparing Why Me? with?Huh??
DWJ
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 10:18:42 PM »

I was at Roskilde, and admittedly the show had some "charma" to it - like it was clicking with the audience - there has been a good fan reaction in emails - I don't otherwise have a recording of it to judge.

The interesting thing to me is that Daniel is often times "under pressure" on stage, and it does affect how he performs - and he often walks off stage bemoaning mistakes he made or something - but the crowds don't seem to notice - what they hear sound just great to them!

Why Me was a kind of "private performance" - that even with a large audience, being isolated in lights on the stage with the rest of the room relatively dark, it also "clicked" with people in the audience.

I'd love to get my hands on a Roskilde recording if you know where to get one!

I've had other people tell me (and I agree) that after hearing other bands at a festival, that the one-man-band sound that Daniel produces is strikingly "full" and complete sounding, different and refreshing.
Later!
The Spook
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 12:24:20 PM »

yeah.. maybe i gave the wrong kind of message here.. i understand that i may have been a little too fawning over Why Me, and given the impression that i thought this was the best DJ album.. sometimes when i'm listening to a CD over and over i get a little obsessed with it..
i'd never rate this over Yip Jump.. or 1990 (which is a personal favourite of mine).. or some of his other studio recordings..
what i meant is that compared to other live albums by other bands, that there is something special about this, something special in each of the songs, in how they are performed.. that seem like an essential part of a catalogue rather than just something for the hardcore fans..
i dunno, maybe i still haven't explained it right.. but i still think Why Me is an incredible recording and i still listen to it a hell of a lot..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length