Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 09:34:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Question about a certain condition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about a certain condition  (Read 5194 times)
kralenpregn
Harley Man

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »

I'm curious, as to what you would call that condition, of compulsively recording yourself. I guess it would depend on what ones reason was for recording in the first place, but I have this friend, that compulsively records himself. He just jumps around from idea to idea to idea. And when asked why he does so,  his reply is, "Because that's just what I'm doing, is capturing my ideas, so I can later write a song."
Which sounds fine and dandy to me. But he never listens to his tapes, and he never writes his songs. He had three garbage bags full of taped recordings of himself playing an acoustic guitar and singing. I guess you would call that a serious one-tracked mindedness, but also a lazy-ass. He reminds me of Daniels music. but at a much more beginners level than compared to Daniel. But he definately Taps Into The Source. Like Daniel does, but he never does anything with his ideas. So imagine Daniel Johnston, if he never really learned good song structure, but he was recording himself compulsively singing chopped up, verses and what would make good chorus'. How would one describe that psychologically? Can someone help me on this?

Oh yea, and I think Daniel Johnston is truly the greatest singer songwriter since Robert Johnson.  And that was what sixty years ago?
Almost like some freak of nature or something. And the only reason I say, 'freak of nature' is because, Where's the rest of them at? Why are there not  more people like those two individuals who write songs capturing their spirit like that? Bringing their spirit, their personality into the physical reality in the form of a song
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:35:41 AM by kralenpregn » Logged
mememe
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

I used to record everything.. well lots of stuff anway.. Just that itīs sort of lthe same thing as a picture taken with a camera. Some of them I thought Iīd make into a song but very rarely got to do it and when I did it never quite came out right. But I recorded lotīs of other stuff, like my grand Ma telling stories, or the sound of my footsteps in the snow. Just that I wouldnīt forget, you know? I think your friend is fine.

Why donīt you ask him to make a mixtape of some of the stuff he has recorded? Transfer some of the tapes into a computer and start chopping and pasting the stuff into some form.  Or if he would find someone else to make music with, might help in getting things "finished".

I donīt think one needs to know "good song structure" to make good music.. If anything, forgetting about those kind of rules is key to really finding out where music can take you. Just think about songs like Danny Donīt Rapp (just one example of many) from Daniel Johnston.. What a wonderful wierdass song!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:55:31 PM by mememe » Logged
mememe
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »

Hey, why not ask him to put something out in Reverbnation or myspace ? And post it here, Iīd be really interested to hear music by a guy who has garbagebags full of choruses Grin
kralenpregn
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »

Well, I probably shouldn't have brought him up, but, Hurricane Katrina took all of his tapes, and also his million dollar novel! But of course its his word against them! and WHO ARE THEY! ....
No, he's just a burn-out now. Like so many others who have 'Lost Hope!". or almost lost it!
But I think there's still hope in him..... still maybe a breath of life..... I'm working on it!
mememe
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:01:37 AM »

Oh s*it... paranoia.. I bet theres a very exact medical term for your friends "condition" but I donīt care to remember it now. Hope he gets better. Good luck to you both.
kralenpregn
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:26:48 AM »

He says that it's not paranoia. He says he's not paranoid about anything, except being paranoid. He says thanks though for your input.
The truth is, he couldn't careless less.
It was just me trying to put some kind of medical label on him. To help me better understand him. It's sad to see someone with an untapped talent, just stagnating....
I was hoping someone on this board would know things psychologically. My friend says that Modern day psychology hasn't even had it's Kant. He's possibly quoting someone, but,
I take that as meaning that Modern psychology is still in its primitive state.
He says that he can write volumes on this,.... but he never does.....
Thanks mememe.
and hey, I heard some of your music, a couple of songs, they were nice. I would like to hear more.
(Info request)
mememe
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »

Hi, sorry for the late reply...

I sort of know what your friend is going thru. These feelings of paranoia are universal, and when you start to see the "infrastructure" of power and the way the world is "run" itīs easy to get distracted and think itīs personal. But that might be a necessary process to get that **** out of your system.. How society deals with such a person is another thing.

I think your friend cares, with his whole being, about himself, not about my opinion or anyone elses for that matter Cheesy

I know people with schizophrenia and the most common symptom is paranoia about a conspiracy against oneīs self.
If he is not experiencing hallucinations or hearing voices and you know, severe distortion of reality, I think he has a good chance of getting back to logic with the help of people who know about his condition (altough he might not agree).

There is no such thing as "Modern Psychology" when you go see someone who knows whatīs going on with your mind and wants to help. I hope he gets help in the way of talking with someone. I hate the idea of medication, but so many people have gotten help out of them so I can not stand against them. Itīs always dependant on the situation but... If you think about Dan and his behaviour before they got him on the right meds.. and how productive and creative he is now.. Just donīt settle for those firstaid pillpushers who donīt give a **** and just want to shut people up.

Nice that you went and listened to my music.. Im planning on putting more out on the net soon ( this was my friend who uploaded our jams..) and maybe Iīll drop you a link!

all the best,
me
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length