Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 08:33:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  The Daniel Johnston Hour
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Daniel Johnston Hour  (Read 7187 times)
Slyontologist
Casper

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »

Hi. First of all I want to tell you that I MET Daniel Johnston, I accosted him outside a venue that he was playing at on Brighton seafront [UK] on November the 1st of this year and I shook his hand when he was having a cigarette, and he was really nice, and the gig was awesome. SECOND, I want to know anything at all that anybody out there knows about anythign conncted with the 'Daniel Johnston Hour,' which evidently is some kind of radio show that he particpated in. I've heard it, and the songs on it which include apparently songs that are exclusive to it. It's got the greatest version of Speeding Motorcycle, in my opinion, that I ever heard, and Daniel is singing down a phone with the band in the studio; it's got a version of True Love that Will Find You in the End which is funny, and ends with weird spangly piano and beautiful, soaring, spiritual what-not. The exclusive songs are 'Spinning Globe,' and 'Tonight in Your Dreams.' They are very strange, lyrically very arresting, double-tracked vocal affairs, and I would LOVE to hear alternate versions of them. I bet such versions don't exist. Somebody tell me that they do.
D. Sulpy
Frustrated Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »

Hi, Slyontologist!

What you describe is Daniel's phoned-in appearance on WFMU (East Orange, N.J.) on February 4th, 1990.
"Speeding Motorcycle" from this show was actually released as a single, and the whole show can be heard on-line here:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/04/from_the_wfmu_a_1.html

kralenpregn
Harley Man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »

Just listened to the radio broadcast! Jesus! The more I dig into this Daniel Johnston Phenomenon, the more engulfed I get. What an awesome performance. Reminds me of something that I can't put my finger on. In fact, so much of what he does has that quality. Sometimes I feel like I have dreamed some of his layers before.
38 minutes into the broadcast, Daniel says, something like, (speaking to Maria on phone,) "Isn't it kind of weird how I guessed your name?" What is that all about? How Did He know her name?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:56:03 AM by kralenpregn » Logged
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »

38 minutes into the broadcast, Daniel says, something like, (speaking to Maria on phone,) "Isn't it kind of weird how I guessed your name?" What is that all about? How Did He know her name?

He thought it was a different Marie.

Slyontologist
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Thankyou loads, D. Sulpy. I am utterly indebted to you. I am overwhelmed. I already had a couple of tracks taken from this, and now I have the whole show. Cheers, buddy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length