Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 08:02:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Obsession
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Obsession  (Read 3931 times)
Dihnekis
Casper

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »

I've just recently started getting into Daniel Johnston's music. I can't really describe it, but it brings me to quite a conflicted place. His words seem ripped out of my own head, and it is leading me to just more questions I feel like. The way that he sees Laurie, and sings about her... for the past couple years I've found myself (as probably many of us have) in a obsessive situation that "The Dream is Over" from Artistic Vice communicates. I'm trying to move past it, and I haven't spent enough time with Daniel's music yet to fully understand his view of her, but it just adds to the confusion. I guess I'm just looking for the "moral of the story" or whatever bull****, and I'm probably just looking for an easy way out, and the point is that there isn't one? What do you guys think of the way that Daniel sings about Laurie?
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »

Interesting question. For me, out of context, it certainly can seem weird, even scary in an obsessive/stalker kind of way. But knowing Daniel, knowing his music, and realizing he is still creating songs inspired in part by a girl who was nice to him 27-28 years ago or more, I'd say it's something more and definitely not scary.

Laurie has come to be, or perhaps has always been, a symbol more than an actual being or relationship. She's a portal through the madness directly to the safe haven of creation. Daniel is in love with the "idea" of her, and so it becomes metaphor. A metaphor for what? I guess that depends on the listener and what Daniel is going through at the time. I hesitate to use the word "muse," as that is a loaded word with many meanings for different people. I will suggest that his idea of her is a "touch stone," a calm point or hub around which Daniel's world has spun like the heavens post big-bang.

Daniel has said that when he is creatively going through a dry spell and can't come up with any ideas for a song (a rough time for any creative mind), he usually ends up thinking about Laurie, and a song will just pop up in his head.

It's a vision manifested early on, in terms of "who" one is writing for. This vision sustains him as it sustains other brilliant singer/songwriters like Leonard Cohen, P.J. Harvey, Patti Smith and others. The fact that Daniel met up again with Laurie (documented in the movie) and that they keep "in touch" (his words) suggests to me that she is okay with the poetic attention Daniel lauds her way through song, and that's good enough for me.

As for there being a "moral" to this story... (grin grin grin) maybe it's simply this: "True Love Will Find You in the End." What that true love is for Daniel is his alone to know, as it is for anyone, and I really believe he has found it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:48:04 AM by Henry Long » Logged

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
Rusted Square
Frustrated Artist

hear my music at www.myspace.com/rustedsquare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

ahhh well put Henry!Honestly I wanted to say something but I didnt know what to say and Im glad I didnt cuz your reply is perfect in my opinion.The only thing I can really say about Daniel being inspired by Laurie is well to me its kinda beautiful because like Henry said it has been maybe more then 28 years ago sense they first met and he was still writing songs about her/for her.I wish I was better with words but Im not and if I was I would of had a better reply they it being beautiful.haha

Self-Imposed Exile
Dihnekis
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »

Thanks for your excellent reply. This explains a lot.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length