Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:31:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  hello people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hello people  (Read 3157 times)
leonzos
Lazy Bum

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:39 PM »

hallo,

I'm a daniel johnston fan of a precious few months - he's been around for ages but I've only just discovered him - can't imagine why he isn't more famous, more in the spotlight- but then commercial music is all about marketing and profit margins, whilst art is about emotional truth.

Anyways, I can't seem to listen to any other music at the moment. I've got bad Daniel Johnston mania (like beatlemania or something). I normally only get like this with Tom Waits.

So I joined the forum in the hope of meeting like minded kind souls.

and I'm Leon, pleased to be making your acquaintance and such like.

*doffs cap.

Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »

Welcome to Dannyworld, Leon. I know well your current mania. Bad news is it never stops. Good news is it never stops. So how did you first hear Daniel's music?

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
leonzos
Lazy Bum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

I was making a collage (I do art) from some european magazine (I think it was german or something) I'd found by the side of the street and there was this article about Daniel Johnston.

There was only a bit in english, but I was just struck by how he looked - it was a picture of an older Daniel Johnston smoking. It referred to him as a genius. I've an interest in the nature of genius, so it kind of piqued my interest - but by then I had no music or art to put to the face.

I then heard him name dropped in the lyrics of a band called Herman Düne.

Finally I decided to pursue all these mythical signposts to the musical source.

I also got hold of the film, the Devil and Daniel Johnston - which blew my mind.

I really like the lo-fi sound, how unique, idiosyncratic and personal the vision behind the music. The kind of kooky, child like gospel of his voice that merges so well with the instrumentation.

What about your good self? You a long time fan?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length