Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 04:17:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  "The Car That Only Played Daniel Johnston!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "The Car That Only Played Daniel Johnston!"  (Read 7087 times)
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

http://www.facebook.com/people/Henry-Long/69119789

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:14:16 AM »

Weird:

This isn't really a forum topic per se, just something weird that I'm sharing here.

Years ago, I made one high-quality 90-minute cassette tape out of some of my favorite tracks from all of Daniel's Stress Tapes, mainly so I wouldn't play THOSE tapes until they were dust. Every now and then I take it out and play it. I had it with me, in a box of tapes, in my old Buick Century, which has a cassette player. Anyway, about 2 months ago I put in the tape...and it never came out. I mean to say the cassette player will not eject it, even a little. It just plays no matter what, as long as the car is on. I tried everything...just in case I need to hear a traffic report (I live 1 minute from 95) or weather or whatever...and the only thing I've been able to do is wedge a pen down in there to sort of lift the tape up so it will pause in it's otherwise endless loop of my favorite Daniel Johnston songs. Unless I hit a pothole, which typically disengages the pen and it's back to "A Walk in the Wind" or wherever it happened to stop last time I stuck the pen in. Not necessarily a bad thing, but after 2 months, it's starting to get a little Stephen Kingy. "The Car That Only Played Daniel Johnston!"

All I can say is, I'm so happy I didn't decide to put in my bootleg tape of Ween doing nothing but extended live versions of "The Stallion." grin   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQqpUf7vzs
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:16:06 AM by Henry Long » Logged

"Although there's a darkness, love balances chaos."-HL
zack26
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »

Great story Henry!  Can you give us the track listing?... just curious.  Walk in the Wind has always been a favorite.  I love those distant guitar chords at the end.
Rusted Square
Frustrated Artist

hear my music at www.myspace.com/rustedsquare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

haha nice story Henry! I have never heard "Walk in the Wind" :Q( to many of his songs have never touched my ears.

Self-Imposed Exile
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »

Okay Zack, here's the track listing:

The Early Songs Of Daniel Dale Johnston

Side A:

I'd like to say goodbye
There ain't much that you can do
You should've been my wife
Scattered like birds
Joy without pleasure
Never relaxed
Brainwash
I save cigarette butts
Since I lost my tooth
Living life
Cold hard world
The story of an artist
My yolk is heavy
Mother mom said
Dreams come true
Love defined

Side B:

Happy talk
Walking the cow*
Laurie*
Honey I sure miss you*
Life in vain*
Running water*
Frankenstein love*
Do you really love me**
Ain't no woman gonna make a George Jones outta me.
Funeral home
Ghost of our love
Big business monkey
Walking the cow
I picture myself with a guitar
Despair came knocking
A walk in the wind
I am a baby in my universe
Nervous love
I'll never marry
Get yourself together
Running water
Desperate man blues

* Live at the Houston Room 1992, from the stellar Stress tape "Frankenstein Love" 1998
** Live at SXSW 1991

Awhile ago, Dick contacted me about helping the family in picking out the songs for the yet-to-be titled "Welcome To My World." I literally went through every song of Daniel's I had and narrowed the list down to 50, then to about 30. It was a struggle, to be sure! Many were choices I had made from the above home-made tape.

I wish more of my unusual selections would have made it onto that release, especially the live tracks from 1992, which I think are among his best ever, but at least some made it, and I really appreciated their way of thanking me for my assistance, which was an official "thank-you" in the "Welcome To My World" Cd booklet, among other things  smiley

The list I came up with for this tape was so reflective of what I was going through at the time, and that is the miracle of Daniel Johnston. One can find a personal resonance in so many of his songs, for different reasons and at different times. He will be remembered for that, I believe, and as I've said before, 50 years from now, hell, 100, kids with acoustic guitars will still be plucking out the chords and discovering the truths in his beautifully honest compositions.

And his music will, as he has always believed and predicted, live on.

Rusted Square
Frustrated Artist

hear my music at www.myspace.com/rustedsquare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »

ahhh yes Henry I remember when I first noticed Daniel's music! It was like "hey this guy knows me and what Im going through!" and his music/art will in my opinion live on forever and you can tell that just by listening to it!

So Henry Im guessing you know Daniel/his family personally if they asked you to help pick out songs for the album then right?

Self-Imposed Exile
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:44 AM »

So Henry Im guessing you know Daniel/his family personally if they asked you to help pick out songs for the album then right?

Not personally, as in we hang out or see each other around or something. I've never met Dick, but we've talked on the phone and exchanged a number of emails through the years for various projects and ideas. I've just been a longtime fan of Daniel's and I have the upmost respect for his and his family's privacy. I guess they asked me about the songs cuz they were so close to them and perhaps needed a bit of distance or at least just another perspective.

I remember when I first noticed Daniel's music!

One thing is very true about Daniel's music: He sure makes an interesting first impression!

wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »

Well you should just drain the radiator and fill it with Mountain Dew!

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
Henry Long
Admin
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:07:11 AM »

I'm sure if I did that, the car would run just fine! That crap will kill you. grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length