Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 10:34:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Website Forum
| | |-+  The Cutting Edge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Cutting Edge  (Read 15698 times)
octavian
Casper

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2004, 12:07:57 AM »

So much is talked about Daniel's big appearance on MTV, but I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it. Just wondering if somehow Daniels segment could be posted on this website. Thanks a zillion!
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 01:10:00 AM »

thats would be great! good idea octavian!! lets hope it happens !!!

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
dejected
Administrator
Fly Eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 04:14:05 PM »

I've been "asked" to not do that until after the documentary is aired - I think it is part of an effort to keep the documentary content fresh or "new" material as much as possible when it comes out.   At this point, we're looking at January 2005.   I may post some stills or something in the mean time.  

Sorry if that sounds like such a long way off - meanwhile I assure you there's lots of stuff coming in the MEMBERS ONLY area to keep up busy.
fixingtomend
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 09:46:16 AM »

I think theres a clip from the documentory on the films website of the MTV appearence. showing the doceumentory bits from the film and a fair bit of the actual performance. http://www.thedevilanddanieljohnston.com
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

I can't believe nobody has posted this clip after all these years; and the fact that there is no access to the clip (unless you get the DVD).

It's sad to see the lack of anything floating around, especially with the people-power of this forum/website. Not knocking anyone or this forum, but it just seems there's no 'fun stuff' perks around here.

I'm not asking for free mp3's of his albums; i would just like to see more video clips, photos, etc of daniel and not the same 5 photos popping up on google.

I don't mean to sound snobby - there's just hardly NOTHING out there. Who the heck is telling people to take off certain clips off youtube.com? I can get nearly anything by The Beatles, but nothing by DJ, the most underground/outside guy out there?

What is going on here?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:35:15 AM by fifbeat » Logged

There's a man in me I'm gonna destroy and he will be no more. He'll be dead and I'll be free. I'll unlock that door. - Daniel Johnston
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »

I take it all back. I take it all back. I take it all back.

=)

There's a man in me I'm gonna destroy and he will be no more. He'll be dead and I'll be free. I'll unlock that door. - Daniel Johnston
billybob
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:51 PM »

i think i may have that entire cutting edge episode on DVD.  my band at the time, Poison 13, was one of the Austin bands featured.  in fact, it was the bass player and i that were responsible for the producers finding out about Daniel.  when we did the interview on the roof of the Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin, they asked us if there was anyone else they needed to film while they were in town and the both of us blurted out Daniel's name.

i have kind of a funny story about the night they first showed that episode on MTV, but i should probably save it for Jeff's book.

if i can find someone to copy the DVD (providing i can dig up the DVD first), i'll send you one.  i'll look for it tonight.
fifbeat
Harley Man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »

billybob, what about me me me! =)

notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »

I can't believe nobody has posted this clip after all these years; and the fact that there is no access to the clip (unless you get the DVD).
Who the heck is telling people to take off certain clips off youtube.com? I can get nearly anything by The Beatles, but nothing by DJ, the most underground/outside guy out there?

The removal of my clip library had nothing to do with Dan in particular, if you're including that in your thinking here. I haven't looked lately but I wasn't aware of any further Johnston "purges" happening on ScruTube. In fact, a quick check shows there are currently 2,030 listings that come up currently under "daniel" and "johnston" though that includes cover versions of his songs and whatnot. I see some clips from the movie up there, too --are you SURE that "Broken Dreams" isn't hidden somewhere among all those videos?

As for access to the DVD, you can buy it, or you can rent it -- sounds pretty available to me. And apart from a few instrumental bars that are covered up in the middle of "Broken Dreams" I'd say the movie includes roughly 99.44% of the Dan-related footage that aired on that Cutting Edge" show, so looking for it separately seems like a futile act to me.

BTW: And (unless you count Biscuit's "poetry cormer" spots) Poison 13 got all of, what, 15-20 seconds to represent the entirely of Austin's punk rock scene? I still remember the ruckus over that! The only shoot I ended up getting to attend personally was Dino Lee's, but from that I know that MTV spared no expense (sarcasm!) on their one-man "camera crews" -- although Peter Zaremba mentions at one point in the show that the guy behind the camera was the DP on "This Is Spinal Tap"!)

- NotDan

Alley Assassin?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0OlKA5NPtIY&feature=related

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length