Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:24:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Website Forum
| | |-+  I'm fine but how is everyone else?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I'm fine but how is everyone else?  (Read 9619 times)
Psychotic State
Casper

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »

New to the board so I just wanted to say hi and give a little background. I'm 35, a male, and I work as a Psychiatric R.N. in a long-term Psychiatric Center. I'm passionate about mental health care which is the only field I've worked in as a nurse that's made sense... or where I feel I belong... on more than one level. I live with bipolar disorder and was really moved when I first saw the Devil and Daniel Johnston. I purchased the movie soon after seeing it, and it's had some impact on a few of the patients I care for as far as motivation and hope. I've played it on weekends when I can get some interested guys to hang out with me in the TV room and sit through the film. It's very few clients that can sit through it due to the severity of their illness... but still it reaches some... and some is obviously better than none. I work at a State Hospital... one of those ones that has it's historic 130 year old "Kirkbride" style building next to the newer building. The old one housing upwards of 3,500 souls, and the new with 250 beds. Deinstitutionalization being one of the few good things this country's politicians have worked on the past century.

I was diagnosed late in life with bipolar 1 and I suffered a lot due to that fact. Lots of polysubstance abuse and addiction before I finally received a diagnoses explaining why I was off the wall. They put me on meds (the right meds after a few years of trial & error) and I realized there was something really wrong with me and that I was medicating my illness with the wrong stuff. Anyways (as I ramble), I've been stable now for a few years minus a bump or two in the road. I really draw inspiration from Daniel's tale, his accomplishments, and it just shows that recovery from mental illness is possible... even for the sickest of people.

BTW: Happy Mental Illness Awareness Month to the world! grin
K1r0ft
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing - and welcome!
madnell
dead dog laughing in the cloud

"get yourself together or fall apart."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »

A warm welcome to you, Mr. P.S.

I think it's wonderful that you're showing the documentary to patients.

BTW, West Virginia Hospital for the Insane in Weston, West Virginia
that Dan was committed to for a time and featured in the documentary,
is a Kirkbride institution.

http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/

.. Lots of stuff on Weston ..
http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/buildings/weston/
.. also look for ..
.. Ghost Hunters at Weston ..
.. Weston Web Site Renovation ..
.. Historic Images of Weston State Hospital ..
.. Flying Over Weston ..
.. Some VERY RARE Weston Photos ..
.. and more ..

"if ..
you become naked .."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length