Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 11:13:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  vinyl reissue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: vinyl reissue  (Read 7872 times)
chunk1904
Frankenstein

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »

i was at the record store and i picked up a copy of  the hi how are you reissue.
in the corner of the record it says digitally remastered and originally released  on cassette.
personally, i don't think it needed remastering; i love the way my tape from stress sounds and the lp i have from homestead sounds beautiful.
don't get me wrong...i think its great that the vinyl is available again.  if only that was the same case as the tapes.
but digitally remastered??? i was going to get the yip jump 2xlp but once i read that it was remastered i put the record back in the rack. there might not be that much of a difference, but that little difference is probably    enough for me not to buy it.

madnell
dead dog laughing in the cloud

"get yourself together or fall apart."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

yes, a bit of the guilding of the lily, is it not?

"if ..
you become naked .."
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:09:12 AM »

a bit of the gilding of the lily, is it not?

Sounds like someone's likely playing hard and loose with the term "remastered" (which isn't an uncommon activity in the recording industry, actually). I forget the term used on the Homestead LP, but I know that famed producer Spot was brought in to essentially do a bit of "cleanup" on the audio quality.

You wanna know what "gilding the lily" is, though? Not many people realize it, but a staff artist/design fuy was brought in by the label to REDRAW the COVER for that Homestead vinyl release! I forget the guy's name but I recall talking to him about it -- if you think I'm kidding, take a CLOSE look at a Stress tape and the 1980s LP cover.

[Hint: note especially the froggie's li'l toesies...]

- NotDan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »

Not quite.  No "staff guy" was brought in by the label - it was someone who lived in Austin and Homestead didn't exactly have staff in Austin.  Homestead had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to clean up the artwork.   And you're also wrong about the album - it was Yip/Jump that needed to be traced/redrawn and not Hi, How Are You.  I hate this kind of misinformation but there will eventually be a book that sets a few things straight.

a bit of the gilding of the lily, is it not?

Sounds like someone's likely playing hard and loose with the term "remastered" (which isn't an uncommon activity in the recording industry, actually). I forget the term used on the Homestead LP, but I know that famed producer Spot was brought in to essentially do a bit of "cleanup" on the audio quality.

You wanna know what "gilding the lily" is, though? Not many people realize it, but a staff artist/design fuy was brought in by the label to REDRAW the COVER for that Homestead vinyl release! I forget the guy's name but I recall talking to him about it -- if you think I'm kidding, take a CLOSE look at a Stress tape and the 1980s LP cover.

- NotDan
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:54:39 AM by Stress Records » Logged

notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »

No "staff guy" was brought in by the label - it was someone who lived in Austin and Homestead didn't exactly have staff in Austin.  Homestead had absolutely nothing to do withthe decision to clean up the artwork.   And you're also wrong about the album - it was Yip/Jump that needed to be traced/redrawn and not Hi, How Are You. 

Okay -- knowing how irreparably wrecked my neurons and synapses and philodendrons are, I shouldn't run wild with the old stories so quickly. However, I could SWEAR that I recall the art touch-up guy actually showing me what had been done with the HHAY cover drawing.
In any case, I'm currently looking at some uncut "proof sheets" for the Yip cassettes, and I certainly see where that image is much sketchier and would be in greater need of refining.

BUT... The frog's toes, as I stated above, have DEFINITELY been altered between the Stress (or perhaps I should say "pre-Stress") and Homestead editions of HHAY; I refer to his short, spindly forelegs, seen at the bottom center of the drawing. Between the two reproductions, it looks as though someone has decided to cut a toe from one foot and attach it to the other. There's no way to miss it if you have both editions in front of you.

Oh, and the lettering on the words "Daniel Johnston" aren't even CLOSE to being the same on the two HHAY versions -- the  capital "D" and "J" are nearly DOUBLE the height of the remaining letters on the cassette, while the artist's name on the LP is COMPLETELY re-lettered so that all the letters are roughly the same identical size (the "original" lettering looks much more attractive, too -- to me at least -- so I don't know why anyone would've wanted to change it).

The STORY that I was referring to may well have been the story of the Yip vinyl issue... but if that's the case, there must ALSO be a story behind the alterations on HHAY. (Really, in the long run though, it all boils down to the average person finding it pretty damn funny to imagine some anecdotal, cigar-smoke-filled "committee meeting" in which the details of either drawing, as understated and Thurberesque as they are, would be argued over in loud, blustery tones: "Dammit, J.T., I'm tellin' ya, if that cover goes out wit' the damn frog havin' more toes on his left foot than his right, the kids're NEVER gonna go for it!!!")

- NotDan

[PS: Well, I guess at this point I can assume that I didn't get in on that thing that we're not gonna talk about in here. Guess I shoulda NOT tried out, like everyone that I've heard DID make the cut...]

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
Stress Records
Mind Contorted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »

Any redoing of the Hi, How Are You cover was done by Daniel himself.  Yip/Jump was done by someone other than Daniel because he was unable at the time but he most definitely did notice.   shocked

[PS: Well, I guess at this point I can assume that I didn't get in on that thing that we're not gonna talk about in here. Guess I shoulda NOT tried out, like everyone that I've heard DID make the cut...]

I know not of what you speak.   grin

http://www.zachscott.com/stages/07_08_season.html

chunk1904
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

ok  i am holding the homestead lp in one hand and the stress tape in the other .
 i cant see any anything different  not even in the toesies
chunk1904
Frankenstein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »

ok i am going off track here i dont care about the toes .
 but that they put those records in a computer to fix something that was not broken..
Dihnekis
Casper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »

I just picked up the reissue of Yip/Jump and I noticed the "Digitally remastered" thing too... so stupid! It was an analog recording initially, why take it into a computer and then put it back onto analog? The sound quality is really dull. I never heard the original version though.
Rob Wheeler
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:04 AM »

I do not think there are many vinyl or mastering houses that will not base their mastering around a digital stage. It is even more important for this kind of archival master from a tricky source, where there are all sorts of pops and clicks that can cause the needle to jump out of the groove.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length