Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:13:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Tape Preservation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Tape Preservation?  (Read 13342 times)
notdaniel
Fly Eye

<Ape vs. World>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »

anyone know of a place in houston or austin that copies old cassettes for a reasonable cost? my mom has some tapes of her mother from the late 70s that the audio need to be saved if possible

There's many similar services available - even Walgreens and other such pharmacy chains have even been doing VHS to DVD transfers in their film processing departments these days, but I don't know if they do the type of transfer you're requesting.

I went to a place called Replicopy near hiway 183 & Lamar here in Austin to get some 3/4" master VTR tapes transferred to digital format recently. They had to refund my money after they couldn't manage a decent copy of the most important tape (a "lost" half-hour long 1979 interview with Peter Tork of the Monkees which I've been hoping to market to collectors on DVD) but they did a good job with everything else - and as I said, they refunded my money for the part of the job that was unsatisfactory.

However, as far as transferring audiocassettes to DVD, you can get your own equipment to do such things at Fry's Electronics or someplace like that, and it'll probably be cheaper than any service, assuming you're talking about more than two or three tapes!

- notdan

They laughed when I sat down at the piano.
They didn't think that I could play.
But their laughter turned to amazement,
When I got back up and carried it away...

- DJ (message left on answering machine)
drewjoh
Administrator
Frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 07:15:36 PM »

Hello,

I can tell you as the webmaster that we do have a LOT (incredible number) of tapes, and that we are constantly going through and digitizing them in a slow ongoing effort to make it all available to everyone soon (soon is a very relative term there, lol).

This used to be a source of clips that were regularly updated on rejectedunknown.com, as interesting things popped up, we would put a clip or two out. I'm not sure if this is still done as I'm not the one who updates rejectedunknown.com regularly right now.

I do have some really awesome ideas/plans to re-do the rejectedunknown.com and hihowareyou.com sites that will make all this stuff available or at least viewable. As well as some cool community features, like a wiki so we can create all the more an incredible database of all the information about Daniel there is out there. Although the completed website is probably a year out (I had a really early version up about a year ago where I was testing some ideas).

So there is an ongoing effort, but it is slow, and we do have great plans for all the material!  smiley

If anyone is interested in helping me with developing ideas for the website in the near future let me know.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:18:41 PM by drewjoh » Logged
Rob Wheeler
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »

Hi Not Daniel,

I can understand you being under financial pressure and have up till this point been quite priviledged as custodian of some probably otherwise non-existent music, but you have illustrated some of the reasons why I think a coordinated process of aquisition and  archival with someone like Mr Sulpy or Mark Lewishon needs to be put into action.

This guy's catalog needs to be put in order. Transfers need to be done in modern formats, in archival formats, in DSD. If you hold the only master of the What of Whom, then that needs to be kept in a climate controlled enviroment. I don't want to sound harsh, because if it wasn't for you, we obviously would not have this whole record that was otherwise unknown, but if you are short of a few bucks, I doubt you have the facilities to correctly store or transfer that cassette. The same goes for the unreleased material. But what really bothers me about the unreleased material is this. The chances are , if you auction of that tape, the material will not disappear into somebody's vault. It will appear on a bootleg. And Daniel Johnston won't make any money on that. Nobody with pay the royalties, he won't get the performance rights and the material will not get the attention it deserves.

The most frustrating thing about this situation is you go through life and bump into these lost works of genius, films like Greed and Metropolis, tv shows by the likes of Peter Cook who begged for the masters of his tv programmes before the BBC recorded over them with archives of regional weather broadcasts, Steptoe and Son, Hancock's Half Hour, lost and damaged albums by the likes of Frank Zappa, The Beatles, Brian Wilson... you bump into a catalog where the same mistakes seem to be being made and you realise, you can't do anything about it!

But above that, I don't know what sort of income Daniel gets from his work, and I know he does very well in the art sphere, and I can see his brother Dick has grasped that it is important to give the existing canon presence in the high street shops with the best ofs, which is a masterstroke, but I think every single part of Daniel's catalog needs to be protected and preserved. For example, if unreleased songs on the album you are holding have not gone through the rather backward process of copyright protection which is required in the US, someone could buy that record and quite legally release their own recordings of the songs and claim they composed them!

I would recommend getting out and doing a bit of moonlighting to pay your debts and handing back the tapes to Daniel. If you must sell them let me know the price you are looking for...

I suspect from what I am hearing the decisions about which tapes to be use have been either arbitary or amateur at best..

Well, I can assure you that "The What of Whom" comes from the best source, since I happen to OWN the best (and ONLY) source tape. It was unknown to the public until I made mine available for copying (hence the existence of the Stress cassette), and to this day, it appears that no other source for the majority of the songs on it has ever turned up.

Unfortunately, medical/financial considerations are forcing me to sell the tape (along with a tape of mostly-unreleased material from 1983) within the next week or two. Most likely it will go to the person who's been buying up other choice Johnston memorabilia from me of late; he seems to be the type who will continue to make it available for copying if Daniel were to request it. (For the record, I emailed DualTone and offered them access to the tape after they put out the Songs of Pain/More Songs of Pain CD, but they never responded.)

However, if it ends up on Ebay, I really can't guarantee that it won't disappear into some big spender's private treasure vault forever... Offers, anyone? It's time to band together to "Save the What (of whom)!

- Not Daniel

BTW: When Homestead Records issued the vinyl LP of "Hi, How Are You" in 1989 or whenever, they hired famed producer Spot (Husker Du, Black Flag) to helm the engineering/mastering/spit-&-polish chores. Not only that - they actually had someone come in and redraw the "frog" for the cover! (If you closely compare the LP and the cassette, you can find several minute differences between the images.)
Rob Wheeler
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 07:44:57 PM »

Hey man, good work so far Smiley

Could you tell me about the transfer process for these tapes? Is it being done by an engineer, and are they watching out for speed? And does Daniel still record his demos on analog casettes?

I hate to be a downer, but I'd strongly recommend against a wiki, which are probably best not elaborated in public... so I'll pm you tomorrow.... but now time for bed....

Cheers,

Rob,

Hello,

I can tell you as the webmaster that we do have a LOT (incredible number) of tapes, and that we are constantly going through and digitizing them in a slow ongoing effort to make it all available to everyone soon (soon is a very relative term there, lol).

This used to be a source of clips that were regularly updated on rejectedunknown.com, as interesting things popped up, we would put a clip or two out. I'm not sure if this is still done as I'm not the one who updates rejectedunknown.com regularly right now.

I do have some really awesome ideas/plans to re-do the rejectedunknown.com and hihowareyou.com sites that will make all this stuff available or at least viewable. As well as some cool community features, like a wiki so we can create all the more an incredible database of all the information about Daniel there is out there. Although the completed website is probably a year out (I had a really early version up about a year ago where I was testing some ideas).

So there is an ongoing effort, but it is slow, and we do have great plans for all the material!  smiley

If anyone is interested in helping me with developing ideas for the website in the near future let me know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length