Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:10:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Yip!Jump Board
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Fan Forums
| | |-+  Genius or fruitcake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Genius or fruitcake  (Read 24945 times)
Billy Castillo
dead dog laughing in the cloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »

Very well said.

andya
Speeding Motorcycler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 10:43:08 PM »

Well I'd be the first to admit I'm like a dog with a bone when I get an idea in my head and can't really argue with your post.  I'm not trying to bait anyone though and if I've used phrases that appear to do so it's to steer the dicussion away from the quality of his music and to elicit responses on the effects of the documentary. You have addressed the point I have been making which is all I was looking for. One small point, I allowed myself to be open about my experiences not this board!

If I could write words
Like leaves on an autumn forest floor,
What a bonfire my letters would make.
If I could speak words of water,
You would drown when I said
"I love you."
Spike Milligan
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

I say fruitcake........genius of a fruitcake! Not fruitcake in a bad way but Daniel does do some odd things I would consider fruity (and just to be clear not fruity in the gay way, Daniel loves the dames) just fruity wierd.

What sends me into a frenzy is when the word retard is thrown out, having talked to and knowing Daniel, when not heavily medicated he is as sharp as a tack and very funny. Just because he dont split atoms dont mean he is not a genius.

Classic Daniel wit:

Me: Daniel have you met alot of your fans?
Daniel: Yeah I met all five of them.

Never use the word retard in context with Daniel around me......I wont beat you up but I will set you straight real quick!

you name me a street
and i will name you a bar,
and i will walk right threw hell
just to buy you a jar.
Billy Castillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »

If I were you, then, I wouldn't look at the forum on IMDB. There are some really awful things said there that P*ss me off, and I don't even know Daniel personally!

wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »

Oh yeah another thing that amazes me is most folks who suffer from depression to the severity Dan does could not accomplish the great things he has. Depression can make you null and void if not taken care of! I myself suffer from depression not even nearly on the level Dan does, but when I have bad days its terrible.

Nobody made Daniel famous he did it himself. Who in the hell would think of putting tapes in peoples food orders at McDonalds.....genius move! The fact he was driven and a genius and genuinely good is what made him famous! He may not have droves of fans but one Dan fan has the heart of 50 KISS fans! Kiss fans are the most obsessed bunch there is I would know I am one to a extent....when they had heart now its all about money to Gene Simmons....there is no heart in the music (well KISS dont make music anymore) they just tour and put make up on two guys who are not original members and put out a bunch of ****ty memoribilia because they know no matter how crappy or shoddy it is there are a ton of gullable fans who will buy it......cha ching! The way KISS has milked their fans and the fact that most of the die hards are borderline braindead when it comes to seeing they are being milked, makes me ashamed to be a Kiss fan. Greatest hits albums 5 in the last 10 years!!! I like em but not that nuch!

I take great pride in being a Daniel Johnston fan. I am a fanatic! Us Dan fans know something others dont. We can hear the beauty even if it has not been polished up! I own everything this site has to sale except the art. I have more then likely been the first to buy things when they put them up! And like a fiend I wait for it in the mail and count down the days. I know I am getting my monies worth and supporting my favorite musician.

Genius you ask!?!?!

Does a bear poop in the woods!?!? afro

Edited to say cool that they automatically censor the dirty words. I try to watch my lanuage on the board out of respect for the Johnstons but sometime a dirty word gets by me....I am a cusser!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:27:04 PM by wickedwill » Logged

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
wickedwill
Global Moderator
Fly Eye

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »

If I were you, then, I wouldn't look at the forum on IMDB. There are some really awful things said there that P*ss me off, and I don't even know Daniel personally!

Yeah it makes me mad also but I also laugh because out of ignorance they are missing out on great things....serves em right.

you name me a street
just to buy you a jar.
Billy Castillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 02:15:04 PM »

Yeah...they can keep their crappy "artists" like Beyonce. I rather listen to real music.

dited to say cool that they automatically censor the dirty words. I try to watch my lanuage on the board out of respect for the Johnstons but sometime a dirty word gets by me....I am a cusser!

Me too. I know exactly what you mean.

gina164
Mind Contorted

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »

Great thread -

I am 9 days post-op from 3 ACDF's with autograft bone donation (from my left hip) and 3 titanium plates to my neck - and am not allowed to drive for at least 6 weeks - so, am able to catch up on my reading here.

Glad to have had the time to read your posts, All -
---------------------------------------------
My 2 bits, having met him twice, and spent 3 days straight with him the second time, and spoken on the phone with him various times:

Dan IS extremely intelligent - and, this is not at all unusual for severe manic depressives. My own sis was a National Merit Scholar in high school, and is also severely manic depressive...but, she is NOT a genius, nor anywhere near as creative as Dan.

Dan is also, from my experience with him, very courageous in his honesty - even within his family...

I do believe that the love his family gave to him in his early years, AS THE Endearingá BABY...the youngest of five...helped allow his 'unusual' creativity to be tolerated, and to flourish...

Just think, if he were the eldest son...he would still be manic depressive, but I think that family position would have taken a BIGGER toll on him, as it would have put more pressure on him to be 'the believer' and the model son for the younger ones...I believe that if that had been the case, he would never have been who he is...that is, considering his particular family...

But, it is just my opinion that I think he was 'a bit blessed' to end up as 'his Mom's baby' .... Still, it's not just based on meeting his folks, his older bro, and one older sis...I also 'feel this' from my own experience, in a large 'religious family'...

I know both the eldest son and daughter in my family of 8 (My Catholic parents, me and 5 siblings) have had the most pressure on them to replicate my parents...Lucky, for me, I ended up a middle child Smiley

My older bro is SO Catholic he goes to mass in Latin (and is probably still thinking of whether or not to become a priest!), and my oldest sis is the next most religious (and the manic-depressive)...I was the first kid to get away with not going to church, and to not have to become what my parents so admired about themselves...

Oldest bro went to all-boys Catholic high School, and got special music teachers from Russia...he now teaches classical music (important to note that my Dad taught himself piano, and would have LOVED to get the lessons he gave to Gary), and older sis went into modern dance (then show dancing when the mania set in)...It is also important to note that my parents prided themselves on being great social dancers... and therefore 'wanted' one of the kiddos to be a dancer...

I got away with ditching dance and taking horse-back riding lessons instead when I was 11 smiley In high school, I wrote editorials and features, none of which my parents ever even asked to read...even when they knew I was getting an award for my editorial writing at Pepperdine University in Malibu from Women In Communications, Inc! IF they'd read that particular article, they would have hit the roof, as i defended the rights of a PSA stewardess to pose nude in Playboy, after she got fired by PSA...keep in mind,  this was 1974, and I was 15 way back then, so that was unusal behavior, and would have been viewed by my folks as 'naughty'  so, THAT would never have been allowed, norá do I think I would I have ever even thought to write the article (entitled, "Are We puppets in the Hands of Employers"), if I'd been 'a first born,' in my particular family...In fact, each next kid got more and more freedom...and the last born got anything she wanted...which, thank goodness, she has now outgrown wink

Anyway...I think birth order is just one more 'thing' that has contributed to Dan being able to develop his talents - his birth order, and the concomitant lack of pressure to replicate the life of his parents... Ironically, you see Dan's mom 'giving it to him' in the doc, but you also see Dan getting away with mimicking her/making fun of it...I do not believe the first born would have had it so good... but, again, just my intuition...

...and, perhaps, just one more possible little insight into understanding the lovely puzzle known as, 'Dan Johnston'...

Gee, we all the love that guy smiley
Hoping he gets lots of birthday cards!á (1/22)

Gina

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:08:18 PM by gina164 » Logged

"'Get busy living, or get busy dying."
- Shawshank Redemption
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length